Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Upping my athleisure game...

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    It's baffling to me that we live in an era where putting on regular cotton pants and a t-shirt to go to the grocery store could be considered "dressing up."

Personally I have "regular clothes" and then activity-specific attire. If I'm doing a specific activity that calls for more specific attire, sure, I'll wear it, and if I use it often enough, sure I'll spend a bit more money to get something that fits really well, is well made, uses better materials, etc. I go to the gym 5-6x/week so I've got my fair share of higher end athletic shorts and shirts. I have no heartburn spending $60-80 for a pair of gym shorts when I know I'm going to wear the heck out of them.

I also bought Lululemon ABC pants for some reason. The kind that is cut like a pair of jeans but made from tech fiber. I've worn them exactly once. Waste of money. What am I going to do with them, wear them from the office to the gym and then back to the office? They don't look like "real" pants, regardless of how they're cut, so I'm not going to wear them to the office, or frankly, anywhere else where I want to look like a grown-up adult who's not actively engaging in a sport of some kind. And I wear shorts, not pants, at the gym.

Maybe someday I'll use them if I get back into X-C skiing like I had contemplated earlier this year, but even then, I've got better pants for the job from Eddie Bauer and REI.

Anyway. The moral of the story is, I would not spend $$$ on some "premium" athleisure wear product unless you are simply upgrading something you already own and frequently wear. I get a TON of wear out of my higher end athletic shorts and shirts. None from the pants I bought on impulse and thought I would find a use for them afterward.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    Even if I'm going to grocery store, however, I dress like I care.
    Not me. I go to the grocery store on Sunday mornings at 7am. I am usually hungover from the night before. Target sweatpants (or I think they are called "joggers" now, they have tapered legs),a hooded sweatshirt with my son's hockey team logo on it, and some Nikes for me, please.

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    Not me. I go to the grocery store on Sunday mornings at 7am. I am usually hungover from the night before. Target sweatpants (or I think they are called "joggers" now, they have tapered legs),a hooded sweatshirt with my son's hockey team logo on it, and some Nikes for me, please.
    Still don't understand this. Unless you are literally going to the store in what you slept in, it takes exactly the same amount of effort to pull on a pair of jeans as it does to pull on a pair of sweatpants. Especially in this day and age when everything is stretch-this and flex-that.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    [QUOTE=
    I wouldn't be shocked to see the athleisure hate coming from people who aren't in great shape. [/QUOTE]

No real hate here but I don't like them unless I'm headed to or from the gym. I'm in great shape, flat stomach, slender waist (size 30) and good chest and shoulders. As for other grown up men, it gives me the impression they don't care much about their appearance when they dress this way outside the house. But then, I may just be more fastidious than most.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Still don't understand this. Unless you are literally going to the store in what you slept in, it takes exactly the same amount of effort to pull on a pair of jeans as it does to pull on a pair of sweatpants. Especially in this day and age when everything is stretch-this and flex-that.
    Has nothing to do with time for me, and everything to do with comfort. No flex jeans/flex chinos are as comfortable as fleece lined sweatpants.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Who brought time it takes to get dressed into the equation? Sweats/Tech pants are the ultimate in comfort to me. And I'll even up the ante by saying I've got some tech pants that I'd match up against any pair of jeans as far as looks go.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)
    Sweatpants make me feel like i'm in jail :-D

Mentioned
    403 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1873 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    Has nothing to do with time for me, and everything to do with comfort. No flex jeans/flex chinos are as comfortable as fleece lined sweatpants.
    Disagree. I've got some Prana jeans that are 75% cotton/25% synthetic that look great and are my most comfortable pants by far.

Also, from a pure psychological comfort standpoint, I am a professional living and working in a small community. I sure as hell don't want to bump into my clients, opposing counsel, judges, etc., out and about while wearing sweatpants. I will always be more relaxed and at-ease in public when I am confident in how I look.

P.S. Far be it from me to judge other people's lifestyles but I'm also not in the habit of rendering myself so physically miserable/incapacitated that wearing basically pajamas in public seems like a good idea.
    Ben

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    590 Post(s)
    i keep hoping this male crop-sweatshirt look is going to come back while we're wearing gym clothes out of the house.v

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    383 Post(s)
    Disagree. I've got some Prana jeans that are 75% cotton/25% synthetic that look great and are my most comfortable pants by far.

Also, from a pure psychological comfort standpoint, I am a professional living and working in a small community. I sure as hell don't want to bump into my clients, opposing counsel, judges, etc., out and about while wearing sweatpants. I will always be more relaxed and at-ease in public when I am confident in how I look.

P.S. Far be it from me to judge other people's lifestyles but I'm also not in the habit of rendering myself so physically miserable/incapacitated that wearing basically pajamas in public seems like a good idea.
    I think this is a great point for even larger cities ... you never know who you will run into.