Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Upping my athleisure game...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teetide View Post
    Appreciate the feedback ajk. I've been looking hard at the ABCs. And I agree, this is just for kicking around on weekends. To each his own, but I'm not dressing up for a run to Publix or Target
    So I don't really understand this sentiment. Most don't dress up to go run errands because they don't want to ruin their nice clothes or want to wear clothes that can take that kind of abuse. If I had $100 sweatpants I'd worry about them the same way I do wearing $100 dress pants. The athleisure ones may be slightly designed better for stuff but they are designed more for fashion then function.

So you are investing the same as dressing up, it's not that much of a dress up and still requires the same effort as putting on other pants like chinos and a t-shirt. And run the same risk of ruining nicely invested in clothing.

I agree to each their own. But respectfully, I just don't understand how these are an upgrade in functionality for those type of errands, durability, or anything else at that price point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So I don't really understand this sentiment. Most don't dress up to go run errands because they don't want to ruin their nice clothes or want to wear clothes that can take that kind of abuse. If I had $100 sweatpants I'd worry about them the same way I do wearing $100 dress pants. The athleisure ones may be slightly designed better for stuff but they are designed more for fashion then function.

So you are investing the same as dressing up, it's not that much of a dress up and still requires the same effort as putting on other pants like chinos and a t-shirt. And run the same risk of ruining nicely invested in clothing.

I agree to each their own. But respectfully, I just don't understand how these are an upgrade in functionality for those type of errands, durability, or anything else at that price point.
    For me, it's all about comfort. Has nothing whatsoever to do with price or worrying about ruining good clothes. I wear a suit and tie every day of the week. On weekends, I'm going to be as comfortable as possible while still maintaining some degree of being "put together". By the way, Swet Tailor's Everyday Chinos are on sale for $59.50. Way less than you'd drop on Nike track pants and much better looking.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by teetide View Post
    For me, it's all about comfort. Has nothing whatsoever to do with price or worrying about ruining good clothes. I wear a suit and tie every day of the week. On weekends, I'm going to be as comfortable as possible while still maintaining some degree of being "put together". By the way, Swet Tailor's Everyday Chinos are on sale for $59.50. Way less than you'd drop on Nike track pants and much better looking.
    My Nike and Under Armor sweats for around the house, dog walking, and the gym are under 29 each. My point centered around saving a dollar for comfort wear but to each their own. I'll bow out.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    So you are investing the same as dressing up, it's not that much of a dress up and still requires the same effort as putting on other pants like chinos and a t-shirt. And run the same risk of ruining nicely invested in clothing. .
    in fact, if you're wearing maybe your [quite frankly inevitably] worn out chinos from work, on the weekends, you're investing a lot less. it's a lot less of investment than when you're talking about going out and buying a NEW pair of $100 sweatpants.

and bonus, if you need to leave the house you don't look like some out of place college freshman.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post

and bonus, if you need to leave the house you don't look like some out of place college freshman.
    So wearing athletic wear for a quick run to the grocery store makes you look like an out of place college freshman?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I am pretty lost here, I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the OP, but when the conversation turns to value purchasing on a site with threads discussing $500 boots, what multi-thousand dollar watch you wore today, what expensive briefcase/duffel/backpack a person should use....I get a bit confused where I am on the ole interwebs.

I personally think that at least half of the stuff posted here is pretty over-the-top, but that opinion provides no value when a person wants to know who makes the best canary yellow and brick red, two tone, goodyear welted, hand crafted suede shoes.

I think now is a great time to remember the old adage that opinions are like (armpits) we all have them and they mostly stink.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbleu View Post
    I am pretty lost here, I don't have an opinion one way or the other on the OP, but when the conversation turns to value purchasing on a site with threads discussing $500 boots, what multi-thousand dollar watch you wore today, what expensive briefcase/duffel/backpack a person should use....I get a bit confused where I am on the ole interwebs.

I personally think that at least half of the stuff posted here is pretty over-the-top, but that opinion provides no value when a person wants to know who makes the best canary yellow and brick red, two tone, goodyear welted, hand crafted suede shoes.

I think now is a great time to remember the old adage that opinions are like (armpits) we all have them and they mostly stink.
    At least in my years of reading here this site has always seemed to hit the middle road of fashion in terms of timeless type looks, value, and getting good bang for the buck. That's why the sales articles get a lot of traction, and individuals help others finding brands like S&M that are good quality and good value.

The $500 shoes you are referencing most here steer towards AE 2nds, waiting for sales etc.

When people do discuss expensive items in my opinion it tends to be getting good value out of it. Shoes that last a while. Brief cases that can take abuse and even become legacy items. None of which athleisure traditionally fits the mold of.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I tend to be a value guy, so Iíll elaborate on the reasons I went with the Lululemons for bike commuting. Not only does it allow for some level of presentability as I mentioned earlier, but the material and the gusseted crotch are very good for cycling. Any trousers Iíve seen with these features cost as much or more than the Lululemons. Chinos would be right out because of that damned knot where the seams come together and poke you right in a very sensitive area.

Wearing them around the house (which I admit is somewhat rare ó I too tend to stick to chinos or jeans) or to the gym is just a side benefit for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Responding with real answer. I have a couple pair of these Nike ones, and I love them - https://www.nike.com/t/sportswear-te...z1v/805162-063
    You probably need to be in pretty good shape to pull them off as dad bod could lead to looking lazy and sloppy in an ill fitting pant like these.

I don't get the athleisure hate. Everything has it's purpose. With little kids at home, and when it's cold, these works perfectly well for a Target or grocery store run. I have quite a few chinos and wear them all the time - even over my expensive jeans because I have a weird thing about jeans looking quasi-sloppy too.

I wouldn't be shocked to see the athleisure hate coming from people who aren't in great shape. If you are out of shape, wearing gym clothes, you probably won't look great. If you are in shape, you'll probably be fine.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    183 Post(s)
    They look comfortable, no doubt. Even if I'm going to grocery store, however, I dress like I care.