Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fashion Trends for 2019 Hopes and Wishes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    435 Post(s)

Fashion Trends for 2019 Hopes and Wishes

Just for fun, what fashion trends (either trendy or more conservative type items found around here) do you hope phase out and those gain prominence in 2019?

Phase Out:
    - Athletic polo shirts not on the golf course. They are rampant around my office and even my contracting company sent us all one. It's so shiny and clings in all the wrong places for most guys. I tried to decline it since I don't wear polo shirts to the client site and didn't want them to waste the money but they insisted. I am sure there will be some company event I am required to wear them.

Gain Prominence:
    - Pocket squares. They seemed (in my general observations around DC) to have dialed back a bit in the past year or so. I enjoy them but wish more guys wore them on a daily basis so when I did I wasn't the only one in a meeting to do so. I don't mind doing that on occasion but don't like always being 1 or 2 levels above everyone else in meetings etc. A tie alone sets me enough apart.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)
    I agree with the athletic/dry fit polos hopefully going away as the go to for most guys. It seems that most guys have the impression that it works as a replacement for any dress shirt. They fit poorly and aren’t attractive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    I agree with both your points. But I admit to finding the athletic polo convenient to wear when bike commuting. If I have a meeting at the beginning or end of the day at an external location between work and home, I can wear the polo and Lululemon slacks, ride easy so as not to sweat too much, and show up somewhat presentable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)
    1- DEATH OF "ATHLEISURE" WEAR
    2- TRAD/PREPPY DRESSY BECOMES NEW WORK PLACE NORM FOR THE NEXT 30 CENTURIES IN GRUBBY ENGINEERING OFFICES WORLD WIDE. this happens as a reaction to all the gross altheisure sweatpants BS they've been pushing on us for the last couple years.
    3- J CREW HITS A NEW HIGH WATERMARK SINCE 2012, AND BECOMES A VERY TRUSTED AND INFLUENTIAL STORE ONCE AGAIN.
    4- ENCOURAGED BY PREPPY COMBACK 2019,. ALLEN EDMONDS MANAGES TO FIGHT THEIR CORPORATE OVERLORD AND IS JUST LET TO DO WHAT THEY WANT 100% WITH NO MORE POOR PRODUCTS OR WIERD CAMOUFLAGE BOOTS MODELS ANYMORE

other minor wishes,
    -crappy cardigans with floppy vagina collars go away
    -CONTINUED hatred for pointy and square toe shoes will continue to send them away into the wierd and unaware past of 2004.
    -death of stretchy pants. i just want real pants for gods sake Dockers. I'm not a gymnast.
    -polo shirts of all typoes become a passe thing. a bad word! "you cretin, just get a dress shirt!" they'll repeat over and over!
    -the whole BROOKLYN BANKER BRO DRESS CLOTHES DANDY thing stops being a thing. pocket squares might have to go away too to complete this transition.
    -no more lumberjack bs
    -beards passe too :-D

of course most of these things will never ever happen :-D
    Last edited by evanparker; January 4th, 2019 at 09:26 AM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1011 Post(s)
    Phase out - Bright shoe laces on brogues. This edges out slim, not skinny, pants that throw someones proportions off. I feel it is more pleasing to the eye when the top half and bottom half of someone are in proportion.

Phase in - 3 season scarves...I am probably alone on this for most males.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1340 Post(s)
    Phase out - square toed shoes, mean wearing 3/4 length pants in the summer

Phase in - a return to politeness/manners. No more texting at the dinner table OR photographing your food. Hold the door open for the women in your life - and those NOT in your life too. And for F**K sakes, start saying please and thank you again!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    311 Post(s)
    I don't pay attention much what's going on out there and I don't shop much either. I just hope good quality (as opposed to fast, cheap) clothing stays.

Mentioned
    85 Post(s)
    Quoted
    614 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    men wearing 3/4 length pants in the summer
    do you all have a summer where you can wear shorts? :-D i thought it was just snow plow season, and snow plow fixing season up there.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    Just for fun, what fashion trends (either trendy or more conservative type items found around here) do you hope phase out and those gain prominence in 2019?

Gain Prominence:
    - Pocket squares. They seemed (in my general observations around DC) to have dialed back a bit in the past year or so. I enjoy them but wish more guys wore them on a daily basis so when I did I wasn't the only one in a meeting to do so. I don't mind doing that on occasion but don't like always being 1 or 2 levels above everyone else in meetings etc. A tie alone sets me enough apart.
    Yes--I recently purchased several new ones and am wearing them to the office with sports coats whenever I don't wear a tie. I used to only wear them going out at night. People have noticed, so maybe they will pick up the habit as well.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    95 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by evanparker View Post
    -crappy cardigans with floppy vagina collars
    I think that I have one of these.