Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beach "black tie optional"

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)

Beach "black tie optional"

I have an upcoming beach wedding (just attending, not my own / not in wedding party) in Mexico in 4Q of this year. I was excited to break out one of my summer suits, linen shirt, blue loafers, etc. for it. However, I've just learned that it is black tie optional (on the beach)!

I'm never one to turn down the option (and I think a light linen suit wouldn't fit BTO anyway), but I'm having a lot of trouble with pairing a beach wedding with black tie. I actually do have a white linen-cotton blend dinner jacket that I got for my own wedding last year, which is clearly in the picture for this and I'm happy to have the opportunity to wear again so soon. My real question is, what else? Do I go find a white linen tux pant as well? (assuming I can find one that matches/coordinates). Or do I stick with black tux pants and my tux loafers and hope they don't get mucked up much with sand, etc.?

Any thoughts on the issue would be appreciated. Obviously have some lead time, but also now is the season to purchase white tux pants or other summery accessories.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    445 Post(s)
    welp....that's an interesting combo to say the least. you're not alone in your thoughts regarding it.

that said, anything you wear is going to get sandy.

very sandy.

Suitsupply has some options.

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit.../C1351I-S.html

https://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/suit...do/P5480I.html

Might be worth it to pop into a store with the jacket you have in mind and see if it coordinates/matches any of their lighter-colored tux trousers on offer.

That said, the "optional" certainly opens up options. Expect sand in your shoes no matter what.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1063 Post(s)
    Destination wedding on a beach yet they ask black tie optional? Sounds like one of those, wedding party is wearing tuxes, you wear whatever. I think you will be fine in whatever you decide. I wore a tux to my own wedding and basically told others to come dressed however since it was a destination wedding.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Black tux. Tight roll pants cuffs. Rainbow sandals. Done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Thanks all -- glad to see there's no consensus on this (which I also couldn't find easily while googling). My white dinner jacket has some texture to it, and is slightly off white, so the finding white pants that work might be difficult. It is SuSu, but that doesn't count for much for finding a match, since their seasonal items change out often.

I'm likely way overthinking this, and I can just go white DJ with black tux pants. Maybe get some new loafers that are more adventurous/fun or just wear my black bit loafers (which I'd prefer to get sand in / suffer the wear by sand vs. my velvet tux loafers). Maybe take this opportunity to get a non-traditional solid black bowtie, and call it a day.

Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    Black tux. Tight roll pants cuffs. Rainbow sandals. Done.
    Nice -- guess I do need new footwear to meet this one!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    that is pretty silly. Sounds like they dont have a clue about formality / normality.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    that is pretty silly. Sounds like they dont have a clue about formality / normality.
    I was going to say this. I think they don’t know what it means when they suggested what they did. But speaking of norms I also wouldn’t wear any version of white to a wedding.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    112 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I was going to say this. I think they don’t know what it means when they suggested what they did. But speaking of norms I also wouldn’t wear any version of white to a wedding.
    I have noticed that now that I am into dressing more intentionally, people's lack of understanding causes issues. They will claim dress codes that are more casual or more formal than they intend.

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    970 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    I agree on that for a female attendee that white is faux pas, but for men a beach wedding that is BTO--what's the appropriate alternative? Full black tux done up the same as you'd wear in winter NYC? I can think of better ways to die. I'm sure some will do that, but I run hot and would prefer not to doom myself to a perma-sweat before the ceremony even begins. I also won't be surprised if others wear lighter colored (white, tans, etc.) linen suits as well. And everything in between.

Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    I have noticed that now that I am into dressing more intentionally, people's lack of understanding causes issues. They will claim dress codes that are more casual or more formal than they intend.
    Agreed, I think this is a case of someone having 2 distinct ideas (both of which I like) and merging them in a non-normal course way. You don't want to be out of bounds, but it's hard to know what those are.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    I wouldn't be surprised if the bride and groom think of the emphasis being on "optional," but of course people like us think of the emphasis being on "black tie."

I'd probably just send a gift and stay home.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?