Thread: Shoe Problems

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)

Shoe Problems

Hi All,

I wear a size 10 in most casual/dress shoes, but lately some of my shoes have been almost awful to wear. Significant pain/discomfort on the pinky toe area of each foot. I haven't gained any weight, especially not in my foot area. So, can anyone help explain why I'm beginning to feel this pain and discomfort? It's only in a few of my shoes, but I've never had significant discomfort in those shoes before, even after wearing them during a long day/night. Are there any shoe inserts I should look into? Or perhaps get my foot fitted to see if I'm indeed wearing my true size? there's some 9.5 which I've worn before but tend to end up being too small, but 10.5s are usually a hair big, meaning i think is indeed my true shoe size. I fear this will long term damage my pinky toes, as blisters have already formed. Thanks all!

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    545 Post(s)
    I've had this problem for a few years and it's getting worse. Know what it is? Bunions. They are on the balls of my big toes. They aren't huge, but they have gotten large enough to make my shoes pinch across the toes.

If I size up or go from a D to an E width, the shoes are too big in the back.

Some shoes are better than others, depending on the last.

But the only thing that really works is that I purchased a shoe stretcher from Amazon. It has little attachments for bunions. I stretch almost all my shoes across the toes, but not the length.

Bunions may not be your problem, but the stretcher might work for you. It's only about $22 and might be worth a shot for you:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    You may need to experiment with new sizes and widths or, as @mebejoseph suggested above, see if you can stretch your existing shoes width-wise. Some people think that your feet continue to grow as you age, which seems doubtful; however, your feet may spread and flatten over time as you age and lose some of the elasticity in the many tendons and ligaments that make up the complex joints in your feet. If there is no other obvious medical cause (i.e. significant weight gain, poor circulation leading to swollen legs/feet, an injury that has caused you to change your gait, etc), that may be the simplest explanation for what is happening.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    35 Post(s)
    My feet have gotten wider as I've gotten older. It makes buying the correct size more tricky. Anyone have a coupon for a 26 year old body?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    162 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog nailed it, I think. The metatarsals and especially tarsals (the bones to which your toes attach) fan out from the heel, held together in a rounded arch by ligaments and tensioned by muscles. As you age, those ligaments and muscles weaken, allowing the bones to spread out. It's part of why we're more prone to foot injury as we age, and why orthopedic insoles become more popular with age as they provide arch support the foot has lost. Might be something to look into.

A buddy took a fall recently and landed with his full body weight on a rock, forcibly spreading the metatarsals. Five months later and it's just starting to heal (orthopedic surgeon says nothing's torn enough to need surgery, but it's all badly stretched).

If the problem is on the pinky toe it's not technically a bunion, as those develop at the base of the big toe. A bunionette or tailor's bunion occurs at the pinky toe. However, that's an enlargement of the bone at the base of the toe, rather than a blister on the toe itself. Bunions are also a symptom rather than cause of an underlying problem: too much pressure on the joint due to foot shape (genetic); rolling the foot excessively when walking or running; overly tight shoes (see women, hammer toes); or flat feet (and we're back to aging).

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    You may need to experiment with new sizes and widths or, as @mebejoseph suggested above, see if you can stretch your existing shoes width-wise. Some people think that your feet continue to grow as you age, which seems doubtful; however, your feet may spread and flatten over time as you age and lose some of the elasticity in the many tendons and ligaments that make up the complex joints in your feet. If there is no other obvious medical cause (i.e. significant weight gain, poor circulation leading to swollen legs/feet, an injury that has caused you to change your gait, etc), that may be the simplest explanation for what is happening.
    This happened/is happening to me. Feet have grown wider up front, though total volume is not much different. In fact, in one type of shoe (cycling shoes) I've actually gone from a standard 42.5 to a wide 42.

In dress/casual/walking shoes I've generally just gone wider, not smaller, though that makes the fit at the back not as good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thank you for this! I will looking into the shoe stretchers! @mebejoseph

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    21 Post(s)
    Thank you all for your wise and informative comments. The outpouring of comments and knowledge is tremendous!

Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Quoted
    638 Post(s)
    go to the show store, and check your foot on the brannock device they have. this will tell you the width of your foot.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    265 Post(s)
    This happened to me on my left side recently. I had a few pairs of shoes that particularly irritated it. Turns out that it was a corn. I picked up some basic corn remover pads and took care of the problem on my foot. I then purchased a shoe stretcher like @mebejoseph, and that took care of the shoe issues. The little modules on the shoe stretchers make it easy to target the pinky toe region.