Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washing Sweaters??

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    I have never washed any of my sweaters. But I am thinking of doing so. The fabric is getting all stretched out and I was thinking/hoping a wash would bring some life back to it.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1062 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    I have never washed any of my sweaters. But I am thinking of doing so. The fabric is getting all stretched out and I was thinking/hoping a wash would bring some life back to it.
    This is my issue. I have sweaters in Merino and Silk/Cotton/Cashmere from BR. I just want them to shrink back a little like before the multiple wears.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I typically use cold water and a sulfate-free shampoo to wash my sweaters, since most of my sweaters are knit from wool and natural fibres. I then dry them on a rack often initially on a (dry) towel so that they do not stretch out too much. I have had a few problems with sweaters shrinking, though. Along these lines, I would recommend placing the drying rack away from any heating vents or sources so that the sweater dries out slower and more evenly.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I always wear just one layer underneath the sweaters.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Hope this isn't too obvious or missing the point, but first I read the care label on the sweater. If it says Dry Clean Only, then that's what I do. If it gives instructions for washing, I might do so (not often) and follow those. But I usually dry clean instead of washing wool sweaters. Cotton I may wash per instructions.

I always wear a shirt under. If work or going out, usually an oxford BD or chambray.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    I just use a 5 gallon bucket with cashmere sweater wash. Put the sweater in, soak for a couple of minutes, and then swish around in the water. Gently squeeze excess water out and dry flat on sweater rack.

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1431 Post(s)
    What about Woolite? Is it needed? Or can any laundry soap do the trick?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    I wash by hand in cold water using Eucalan within season (this is for wool or cashmere, cotton is generally machine washable). It's a wool wash with lanolin (which is the natural oil sheep produce to keep their wool soft and conditioned). The great thing about Eucalan is that it does not need to be rinsed out which makes hand washing that much less of a pain. I just soak the sweater for 20-30 minutes with some occasional gentle agitation, then press as much water out of the sweater as possible (do not twist or wring, just press, and pressing it into a colander - yes, the thing you strain pasta with - really helps get a lot of extra water out). Then I roll in a clean towel and stand on the towel to squeeze even more water out. Then I lay flat on a drying rack or a mesh sweater drying hoop I have. At the end of every winter I have all my woolens dry cleaned, as dry cleaning chemicals kill moth larvae. Those chemicals are a little hard on wool but moths are even harder on wool.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    What about Woolite? Is it needed? Or can any laundry soap do the trick?
    Like mark said, I use eucalan (lavender scented I think?). One bottle will last you a long time.