Thread: Washing Sweaters??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

Washing Sweaters??

Hey gents!

Got a bit of a weird topic, maybe...

How often do you guys wash your sweaters?

And *how* do you wash them?

And when you're not wearing a button-down beneath them, and you're wearing a sweater on its own, do you wear an undershirt beneath it? And if so, does that change when/how you wash them?

I know washing sweaters is not super great for them, and also causes them to shrink some, so was curious how you all deal with this.

Thanks!!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Finally, a chance to share my dirty (literally) little secret. A V-neck sweater over an OCBD is pretty much my fall/winter uniform, and I have probably 5-6 of them that include cotton/wool blends, 100% lambswool, and merino. I have several that I have NEVER washed. I don't think this is ideal, but you are correct that washing them seems like a pain and is not great for their longevity. For that reason, I am not worried about it unless I get a big obvious stain on them somehow. I always wear either an OCBD, an undershirt, or both, and even though I sometimes get a bit sweaty, bike commute, etc., I don't think I have problems with any of my sweaters smelling or getting funky at all.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    Finally, a chance to share my dirty (literally) little secret. A V-neck sweater over an OCBD is pretty much my fall/winter uniform, and I have probably 5-6 of them that include cotton/wool blends, 100% lambswool, and merino. I have several that I have NEVER washed. I don't think this is ideal, but you are correct that washing them seems like a pain and is not great for their longevity. For that reason, I am not worried about it unless I get a big obvious stain on them somehow. I always wear either an OCBD, an undershirt, or both, and even though I sometimes get a bit sweaty, bike commute, etc., I don't think I have problems with any of my sweaters smelling or getting funky at all.
    Mine are 100% merino and I never wash them unless they get obviously dirty, much like my suits. I always wear something under them, again, much like suits.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Never, unless I can smell or see something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by J.M.S. View Post
    Never, unless I can smell or see something.
    Do you wear them with nothing under them ever? As just standalone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)
    I dry clean them once a year or every other year. I always wear something under it, even if it's just an undershirt.

Off season I store them in a drawer, I really don't want to pile uncleaned sweaters.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    83 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DK View Post
    Hey gents!

Got a bit of a weird topic, maybe...

How often do you guys wash your sweaters?

And *how* do you wash them?

And when you're not wearing a button-down beneath them, and you're wearing a sweater on its own, do you wear an undershirt beneath it? And if so, does that change when/how you wash them?

I know washing sweaters is not super great for them, and also causes them to shrink some, so was curious how you all deal with this.

Thanks!!
    A timely topic for me as I was just wondering about washing them as well.

I have pretty much been wearing OCBD shirts under a sweater for the past month. I was especially concerned about the ones that are cashmere as they were more pricey and seem very delicate. I take care to prevent stains and always examine them for stains before I fold them and have thus far avoided any.

Despite the high frequency of wear they all smell fresh or very faintly of whatever scent I wore last. I never wear them without a short underneath.

As an additional question to the group: What do you all use to remove pills? I bought a sweater comb which I only used once or twice as I felt it was pulling the fabric too much and a sweater stone that I have had better success with but leaves a lot of pumice residue behind.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    I rarely wash my sweaters too, and only use a merino on its own as a top when it's cold (but still with an airism undershirt, or long sleeve heattech when it's really cold), then layer a thicker sweater over, then a jacket or coat. So only my forearms are touching the sweater, and it's not too exposed to the air when I'm out.

But as soon as I sweat even just a bit, or I feel it's exposed to dusty air, I handwash with cold water and some detergent then dry flat.

I haven't had much problems with pilling, but I've tried an electric razor and it seemed to do a good job of cutting without tugging at the fabric.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    I hardly wash my sweaters, too. Even my merino henley sweaters that I wear next to skin. I always let my clothes air out for a couple hours before putting them away, that helps a lot.

When it IS time to wash my wool/blend sweaters, I wash a load of only wool items on cold and let them dry flat. I have a top loader without that damaging agitator, and use the delicate cycle and dry flat. Haven't had any problems with shrinking, pilling, etc yet.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    229 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1053 Post(s)
    I dry clean I think once a year...could be less often.