Thread: Does anyone like working for a micromanager?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    482 Post(s)

Does anyone like working for a micromanager?

I mean this in all seriousness. I work in government consulting where the government client is the boss and the client.

Our new lady is an extreme micromanager in terms of how we perform most operations. I’ve been in my field for 12 years and worked for and to build this program for 3 years. The previous client was the exact opposite. Get the job done. Be respectful and allowed us the flexibility to do our work. The end result was we did even more than contractually required.

Just last night she sent me an email asking why I emailed someone and wrote their name as Bob instead of Mr. after we had several conversations and he later referred to himself as Bob. She said I must continue to refer to everyone as Mr. and Mrs. we’re not in the military and from what I can tell Bob who I know wasn’t offended.

She also doesn’t trust anyone and has to proof every email or request even for routine documents.

So before I lose all my patience. Does anyone like working for a micromanager? Any tips I can do to save my sanity besides leaving the project?

I like my team. I like the work most days. But man this management style. Causing me to drink.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)
    People quit managers more than they quit jobs, no? Is there someone else above her you can speak to?

Friend of mine was in a similar situation where him and his team did well until a new manager took over and was a toxic micromanager and almost the entire team ended up quitting in short order.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1066 Post(s)
    Are you an internal consultant or external? Seems like something an engagement manager could fix if external.

As for micromanagers, you have to break them down little by little. Show them your work is great and that they are the bottleneck and slowing things down. At times I have also stepped over micromanagers to get respect. Thinking of it...my wife has a micromanager she can't stand.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    186 Post(s)
    On one hand, if she's the client as well as managing the project then I'd say she gets to do what she wants.

On the other hand, SHE HAS TO PROOF EVERY EMAIL WHAT THE FUCK GET OUT NOW GOGOGGOGOGOGOGOGO

Mentioned
    212 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1441 Post(s)
    Negative. Couldn't do the micromanger thing. I'd be bolting out of there pretty quick an looking for a new gig.

Mentioned
    78 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    It's the government, there's always a chain of command. Use hers, raise the concerns. If they give even half a rat's ass, they'll fix it.

Just be sure and do the notification in writing. Whether it be an MFR or a simple email, have SOME sort of documentation. If the problem continues, continue documenting it. When the time comes for contract renewal (yours or the project), bring it up as a sticking point for negotiation.