Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

Vest Recommendations

I am new to the world of vests and looking for advice.

I want to wear them as with a dress shirt and dark wash denim and also under a blue cotton blazer or a brown tweed sports jacket.

I really like this one https://factory.jcrew.com/p/F5142

and Amazon has ones from Gioberti at $20 that get good reviews although they are polyester rayon.

Any recommendation on specific types, colors and places to purchase?

Thanks in advance.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I agree the vest as photographed is too short on the model.

Regarding a self-backed vest. Most of the photos of vests worn casually without a jacket that I have seen usually have the standard satin backing.

Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?
    Made to measure will let you get self backed. Get matching pants when you can.

I can’t afford the jackets usually so I thrift casual jackets.

I’d stick to highly textured vest/pants, like the ones linked in the first post. That model must have a crazy long torso for it not cover the pants, I’ve never had that problem with jcrew/jcf before

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I recommend that you dont get one. Wearing a waistcoat with anything but a 3-piece suit is a horrible look, especially with jeans, imo.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    I might try a button-up sweater vest to wear under your sport coats instead. Then you can determine how much you like the vest look, with a normal looking vest; and expand from there, if necessary.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    @Dun - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @Dun - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

Hemp? Do you mean the waxed cord on my hook? It was a gift from my wife and the bone is finally getting a decent patina. It usually hangs below the shirt opening but with my arm raised like that you can see a bit

The leather strap I just cut real quick for my work keys. I cannot lose those

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.
    Appreciate the info. Thanks.