Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Vest Recommendations

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)

    Vest Recommendations

    I am new to the world of vests and looking for advice.

    I want to wear them as with a dress shirt and dark wash denim and also under a blue cotton blazer or a brown tweed sports jacket.

    I really like this one https://factory.jcrew.com/p/F5142

    and Amazon has ones from Gioberti at $20 that get good reviews although they are polyester rayon.

    Any recommendation on specific types, colors and places to purchase?

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    524
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    163 Post(s)
    One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

    Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    One recommendation: don't get one which fits like the linked vest. The vest is supposed to be long enough to cover your shirt and belt all the way around, to create a smooth silhouette, not leave a ring of shirt fabric sticking out. There's a reason why the alternate name for a vest is waistcoat.

    Also, if you're wearing the vest by itself it should be self-backed, that is the same outer fabric front and back. Otherwise it looks like an orphan from a three-piece suit.
    Thanks for the recommendation. I agree the vest as photographed is too short on the model.

    Regarding a self-backed vest. Most of the photos of vests worn casually without a jacket that I have seen usually have the standard satin backing.

    Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?

  4. #4
    Varsity Member Dun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post

    Do you know a source for self-backed vests so I could take a look?
    Made to measure will let you get self backed. Get matching pants when you can.


    I can’t afford the jackets usually so I thrift casual jackets.

    I’d stick to highly textured vest/pants, like the ones linked in the first post. That model must have a crazy long torso for it not cover the pants, I’ve never had that problem with jcrew/jcf before

  5. #5
    Varsity Member Shade's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    1,576
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    I recommend that you dont get one. Wearing a waistcoat with anything but a 3-piece suit is a horrible look, especially with jeans, imo.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    724
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    188 Post(s)
    I might try a button-up sweater vest to wear under your sport coats instead. Then you can determine how much you like the vest look, with a normal looking vest; and expand from there, if necessary.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    2,807
    Mentioned
    231 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1077 Post(s)
    @Dun - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

  8. #8
    Varsity Member Dun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    366
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @Dun - What is happening in that bottom pic? Wallet chain, hemp necklace, and denim jacket with suit pants and a vest?

    Hemp? Do you mean the waxed cord on my hook? It was a gift from my wife and the bone is finally getting a decent patina. It usually hangs below the shirt opening but with my arm raised like that you can see a bit

    The leather strap I just cut real quick for my work keys. I cannot lose those

  9. #9
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    201
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    73 Post(s)
    I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

    Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.

  10. #10
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    312
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    I tried a thread like this a while ago, brace yourself for a boatload of hate.

    Express and suitsupply have good looking vests IMO though.
    Appreciate the info. Thanks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •