Thread: Is it Possible to Get a Peacoat Tailored?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)

Is it Possible to Get a Peacoat Tailored?

I have a J Crew Thinsulate Peacoat that I really like, but it is pretty big/boxy in the waist. I also lost a decent amount of weight which makes it seem even boxier in the waist. Would a tailor be able to take in the waist on this thick peacoat? I visited one tailor and he thought it wouldn't really work. Is this true or should I go elsewhere?

I would rather not buy a new coat, so if I could just slim the waist a bit, it would be an excellent coat for me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Yes, they can be tailored, I’d get another opinion

Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1992 Post(s)
    Sure they can be tailored. Your tailor may not have the heavy duty sewing equipment to handle a really thick wool garment, though. You may need to get some second opinions. When I lived in Boulder I was lucky to have a classically trained menswear tailor who also did a lot of repair of heavy-duty outdoor gear like tents, tarps, etc, so he had sewing equipment that was more than adequate to tailor a heavy trench coat or whatever.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    129 Post(s)
    Most things you'll be talking about here can be tailored. A guy who mostly does suits, pants, shirts may not, like above, be able to work on heavier and thicker fabric, but that's an equipment issue not a material's issue.

Depending on what he meant by "not work" maybe he meant that a peacoat is supposed to be looser in the torso so as to allow for you to wear more layers under it?

I don't think thinsulate has any sort of unusual properties that would cause problems. Gore-tex I could see being an issue for most tailoring, but that's it.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    55 Post(s)
    Great, thanks for the advice! I'll have to give somewhere else a shot.