Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear while skiing?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    So odds are good you are going to Canaan, or probably SnowShoe.

I ski Canaan every year. The weather changes rapidly. From freezing cold to too hot to wear a jacket. They do not have a lot of man making snow capabilities there, so best to keep checking the weather up until you leave. Canaan has great beginner slopes.

There is a lot of good advice above but without knowing if this is your first time skiing etc. (I assume so because you're asking for advice) then the variables will change. Generally, if a first timer, your feet will hurt in the boots, you will be on the ground a lot and will get colder. As mentioned layers are important. I run a UA long sleeve cold gear, a 1/4 zip, depending on the cold a fleece vest over that, and my 3 and 1 NorthFace jacket. I bought Columbia ski pants. They are great for the price.

As mentioned also, you don't want to thick socks. My hands always get freezing, so I wear mittens with liners. I also keep hand warmers in my backpack. Lately they've suggested against wearing backpacks since they can get stuck in the lifts, so a fanny pack or sticking some items in your jacket is ideal.

Skiing is awesome, once you master it head out west. Skiing out there is a completely different ball game and so much fun. I try to make a Colorado ski trip every other year.

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    105 Post(s)

What to wear while skiing?

Not so sure how much this applies to ski-ing as it does snowboarding, but the first 2 or so days you will suck at it. Try to have fun anyway. For snowboarding that means a lot of time in your butt. Which is cold. After those 2 days of sucking you’ll have better control and less tumbles covering you in cold and wet.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    81 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dun View Post
    Not so sure how much this applies to ski-ing as it does snowboarding, but the first 2 or so days you will suck at it. Try to have fun anyway. For snowboarding that means a lot of time in your butt. Which is cold. After those 2 days of sucking you’ll have better control and less tumbles covering you in cold and wet.
    The same applies only moreso, sort of. The first few days of snowboarding, until you get the hang of it, are brutal. You fall, and fall a lot harder than you do on skis when you catch that front edge. Once people get the hang of it they tend to progress pretty quickly though. Skis take somewhat longer to get your form down properly so it takes longer to reach true proficiency, but the falls are gentler at the beginning. That's my experience anyway.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    110 Post(s)
    LAYERS! Make sure to have a base layer in there. It can be brutally cold out there.

Gloves are an absolute must
    Face protection! the wind on your face can be brutal. Make sure you have something to cover as much of your face as possible.
    Buy snowbarding socks. They are wool and insulate very well. They were amazing!!
    snow pants / jacket.

Dont forget to layer up... the last thing you want is to be freezing and have to buy all kinds of expensive ass gear at the shops.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    494 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Quoted
    469 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    LAYERS! Make sure to have a base layer in there. It can be brutally cold out there.

Gloves are an absolute must
    Face protection! the wind on your face can be brutal. Make sure you have something to cover as much of your face as possible.
    Buy snowbarding socks. They are wool and insulate very well. They were amazing!!
    snow pants / jacket.

Dont forget to layer up... the last thing you want is to be freezing and have to buy all kinds of expensive ass gear at the shops.
    In WV odds are good it won’t be brutally cold. I’ve won my face mask one time in about 7 years. Also don’t wear snowboarding socks if you ski. The extra thick shins can make it tough to fit into ski boots. I bought a pair by accident assuming they were all the same. Waste of money.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    If you're on a budget Costco has their 32 degree base layers on sale for $6.99-$9.99. I'm a 40 short, 5'6, and find the medium fits nicely.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Thanks for all of the kind advice given so far! I'm going to see what I can find (hopefully on sale for the Holiday season) this weekend!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Whatever you do, make sure you avoid having a gaper gap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    Thanks for all of the kind advice given so far! I'm going to see what I can find (hopefully on sale for the Holiday season) this weekend!
    I'd consider checking with the people you're going with to see if they can lend you anything. If this is a family that frequently (or even not that frequently) goes on ski trips, there is a good chance that they'll have some spare gear to lend you. If this is the case, there's probably no need to buy specialized gear like ski socks, as someone else going will probably have another pair. The same goes for pants, jackets, etc. Your best bet for equipment is probably to rent skis, boots, poles, and a helmet, unless you get lucky and can borrow something that fits decently.

Skiing can be an incredibly expensive sport/hobby and can feel inaccessible if you're not well off. I have no idea what this family is like, what the ski trip will be like, or what your financial situation is like, so feel free to completely ignore me here. But on the off chance that you don't plan on doing a ton of skiing in the near future and don't want to spend a ton of money on gear, here's what I would suggest.

- Borrow everything you can. As I said earlier, ski families typically have extra stuff and will be happy to let you borrow it.
    - It doesn't need to be "for skiing." Layering enough clothing that is reasonably comfortable to move in will do. Before I owned proper ski pants, I wore nylon windpants with sweatpants and leggings underneath, and honestly it worked fine. For socks, just make sure it's wool, long enough to fit over the boots (over the calf), and warm enough that you'd be comfortable spending an extended period outside in them. For the upper half, you could wear a thermal long sleeve shirt (wool, thick cotton, or synthetic), a flannel shirt, a sweatshirt, and a raincoat. Or any combination of layers you have around - I used to do two long sleeved shirts under a sweatshirt and a completely unlined jacket. You'll want a thin (but warm) hat that covers your ears and decent gloves.
    - You can likely rent skis at the mountain, which is convenient and fine for a day or two. However, sometimes you can get better gear or a better deal at one of the shops nearby. If you're renting gear, ask around to see what places are good.
    - If you have to buy something, and you don't anticipate skiing a lot, get something that will be useful elsewhere in your life. Decent gloves, a warm hat, a pair of boot socks can all be great and used outside of skiing. If you need a jacket, get something versatile that you'll get lots of use out of.

Hope this helps. For reference, I grew up skiing at one of the bigger mountains in Vermont. You may need fewer layers/accessories than I suggested if it is warmer - but that's the beauty of layering, you can always take some off!