Thread: Living Coral - the color of the year

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)

Living Coral - the color of the year

Pantone announced their color of the year for 2019 this morning. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard one for men to incorporate, I'd say. Living Coral is a 1960's looking, orange/hot pink to me. I work in a design related field where it's a little bit of a tradition to try to incorporate these colors into clothes in small ways.

Here's an article about the color:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90272442...or-of-the-year

I did a quick search on a couple of my go-to sites and didn't see much tasteful stuff in coal. Proper Cloth has one fabric, but I don't really like thin stripes like this: https://propercloth.com/fabrics/vare...ripe-2505.html

Anyone wearing anything in coral?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

I’m pretty sure this nato strap is currently in my Xmas stocking. Is that close enough to be on trend this year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Funny, they're changing the colors at the office I work in and coral is definitely a major theme of it.

In terms of clothing, anyways, can't say I'm a huge fan of that color in most items but it might work as a minor color in socks, ties, or pocket squares.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    I think the color of the year 2018 is supposed to be ultra violet (purple), although I honestly cant recall seeing that much of it through the year?

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)
    To me coral is a distinctly spring/summer color. I could imagine picking up a pair of washed chinos in this color in a few months, but it's hard to imagine working this one into my winter wardrobe.
    Ben

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    I heard about this on the radio while I was showering this morning. I had a salmon colored oxford from the Gap that I used to wear years ago, that resembles this color somewhat. I agree with LBD that is is mostly a seasonal color and would work best for Spring/Summer. I dont mind the color at all and it will fit in easily with the other colors that get worn in New England in the Summer. Cape Cod red has some competition in 2019!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    Pantone announced their color of the year for 2019 this morning. Unfortunately, it's kind of hard one for men to incorporate, I'd say. Living Coral is a 1960's looking, orange/hot pink to me. I work in a design related field where it's a little bit of a tradition to try to incorporate these colors into clothes in small ways.

Here's an article about the color:
    https://www.fastcompany.com/90272442...or-of-the-year
    If the linked article is to be believed, this color choice is mostly a political statement.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    It'd be easy for me to wear chinos or shorts of that color in warmer weather away from the office, or perhaps on a few summer Fridays. A tie in that color would work with a plain white or very light blue OCBD. A cloth belt of that color would look good with very light-colored chinos or shorts.

But I peacock a little with color, used to "summer on the Vineyard", etc. YMMV.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    121 Post(s)
    It's not that strange a colour. Generally you could treat it like pink.

Funny thing I was reminded of recently: until the 1950s and Mamie Eisenhower's term as First Lady, pink was considered too aggressive for girls in Western cultures (thus why Penn State's athletic colors were originally pink and black, though they soon discovered 1890s pink dye faded quickly to white). Blue, particularly given its association with the Virgin Mother, was the calm, soothing, feminine colour appropriate for girls and women.