Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Watch Dilema: Keep saving or buy now?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    my suggestion if you're getting the itch to buy something: just buy a new watch strap, put it on one of your current watches and it will feel like you practically have a new watch, scratching that itch until it passes
    @Loafer28, in addition to the sound opinions to continue saving and hold out for the watch you want, heed @Scofield's sage advice in the meantime.

A variety of nice straps can COMPLETELY change the look and feel of your existing watches. I have more watches (and straps) than I care to count, yet one of my favorite watch activities is trying different watch/strap combos just to see what unique and interesting pairings I can come up with. It's an easy and relatively inexpensive way to increase your wearable watch collection exponentially. Yeah, you can buy a cheap quartz to hold you over, but for the same price, adding a quality strap to a piece you already have and love could give you a lot more satisfaction.
    Last edited by minty007; December 7th, 2018 at 12:48 AM.
    Sent from my CONTROL shoe phone inside the Cone of Silence

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Get yoursefl a Dan Henry or a vintage seiko chrono to tufmde you over. Or even a timex Waterbury or Casio edifice. But keep saving for the big boy.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    103!
    103!
    103!
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)
    Without knowing the background of the Sinn, isn't that just a replacement/cheaper pick of the Breitling Navitimer 1? No offense, but seems like you might wind up buying it then wanting the Breitling in that case.

However, I'd keep saving--from past experience, personally and seeing guys online try to scratch the itch, they just wind up spending more because they buy the itch and the later watch, and then never wear the itch watch. It's worth the wait and will make the saved-for purchase all the more satisfying if you wait!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    Without knowing the background of the Sinn, isn't that just a replacement/cheaper pick of the Breitling Navitimer 1? No offense, but seems like you might wind up buying it then wanting the Breitling in that case.!
    Actually, there is a history with Sinn and the Navitimer. When Breitling went bankrupt after the “quartz crises”, Sinn bought all of the spare parts for the Navitimer and sold them as a Navitimer with a Sinn logo. When Breitling was revived, Sinn bought and retained the rights to continue making a Navitimer but could not call it such. Granted the movement is different (7750 on older models and a Stellita in the newer ones). I have previously owned a 556i and loved it, so I am very comfortable with a Sinn.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Loafer28 View Post
    Actually, there is a history with Sinn and the Navitimer. When Breitling went bankrupt after the “quartz crises”, Sinn bought all of the spare parts for the Navitimer and sold them as a Navitimer with a Sinn logo. When Breitling was revived, Sinn bought and retained the rights to continue making a Navitimer but could not call it such. Granted the movement is different (7750 on older models and a Stellita in the newer ones). I have previously owned a 556i and loved it, so I am very comfortable with a Sinn.
    That's interesting and cool, didn't know that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    103!
    103!
    103!
    Only if I could find a panda version.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    I'm in very much the same situation, but I think I'd echo what others have said - I went on a bit of a spree to pick some stuff up this year, and thankfully found deals on everything I bought courtesy of the WUS deals thread. That being said, I spent north of $1,500 for what I picked up (mostly Hamiltons, running the gamut from dress to casual) and I frequently wonder if I'd have been just as happy saving another $500 or so and trying to snag a healthy Speedy. I know full well that I'm headed that direction, I just took a little detour getting there, and now have a watch box with no empty slots. Not a bad thing, but I could easily have reversed the order of purchases.