Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Watch Dilema: Keep saving or buy now?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    Keep saving. If you are anything like me and you end up purchasing a watch now, every time you look at the watch you'll be thinking "if I'd only held out for the Sinn..."

If you're itching for a watch, pick up the Casio MDV. It's cheap in price and likely won't derail you from your goal. Plus you'll have scratched that new watch itch.

Keep saving. You can do it!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Thanks for the all of the advise! I have a solid rotation now, just missing a chronograph. I have tried on the Breitling Navitimer 41mm and loved the look and feel. The Sinn is a more affordable option (with its own provenance). It’s just hard to hold off when the money is burning a hole in my pocket! I just needed y’all to talk me out of making a mistake.

I also appreciate the advise of financing, but I would rather only buy things I have the cash for.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    112 Post(s)
    Quoted
    691 Post(s)
    that panda hamilton IS my grail watch lol

my suggestion if you're getting the itch to buy something: just buy a new watch strap, put it on one of your current watches and it will feel like you practically have a new watch, scratching that itch until it passes

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by skewl View Post
    You could also finance it.
    No offense, but whatever you do, don't do this. Horrible horrible idea. Unless the interest rate is 0%. And even so, I would never finance a watch. Ever.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    28 Post(s)
    I was eyeing that Sinn too, I think it's a really cool watch. Keep saving!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    No offense, but whatever you do, don't do this. Horrible horrible idea. Unless the interest rate is 0%. And even so, I would never finance a watch. Ever.
    Strictly financially speaking, financing a watch that will go up in value isn't a terrible move provided the interest rate is real low.

Financing a car that tanks in value right as you drive it off the lot, that's the bad move.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Strictly financially speaking, financing a watch that will go up in value isn't a terrible move provided the interest rate is real low.

Financing a car that tanks in value right as you drive it off the lot, that's the bad move.
    Most watches won't go up in value, though, in any appreciable fashion. Used watch value drops to 50-75% almost instantly once you have to sell it as "used." Which is why I only buy used watches.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Financing a steel Rolex sports watch (Sub, GMT, Daytona, etc) might make sense financially, as those are about the only watches that are reliably increasing in value year to year. So you might as well lock in today's pricing if the interest is tolerable.

Otherwise if you finance you will be paying a hefty premium for the convenience of wearing it now.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Yes, it is. Financing any "luxury want" is a very bad idea. And even if you wanted to make the argument about appreciation (which by the way is nothing more than speculation), the watches he is looking at will NOT appreciate in value. As a matter of fact, they will probably be worth about 50-60% less as soon as he removes the stickers if he were to try to resell them.

Valid point, but the difference is a car is a necessity (for the majority of folks). A watch is not a necessity for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Financing a steel Rolex sports watch (Sub, GMT, Daytona, etc) might make sense financially, as those are about the only watches that are reliably increasing in value year to year. So you might as well lock in today's pricing if the interest is tolerable.
    And who knows when that bubble will burst. Because believe me, it will eventually.

Sure, if you walked into a Rolex AD today and were offered a ceramic Daytona at MSRP, then maybe, just maybe, I would say go ahead and finance it, but only if your intention was to walk out of the AD and sell it for a $8k profit 5 minutes later and pay off the loan right away.

Sorry, I just can't get over the fact that anyone would even remotely consider or try to justify financing a watch.
    Last edited by .brian.; December 6th, 2018 at 11:19 AM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post

Otherwise if you finance you will be paying a hefty premium for the convenience of wearing it now.
    Also, I have repeatedly told myself I will sell some previous item when I upgrade and I just don't do it.
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond