Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When is a Cotton Blazer appropriate

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)

When is a Cotton Blazer appropriate

I currently have a navy wool suit, navy cotton blazer, and a grey linen cotton blend blazer. I have been struggling with when it is appropriate to wear the navy cotton blue and the grey blazer. I am an IT manager for a bank and the IT staff wears button ups and chinos / dress pants. Nearly never more than that including people at my same management level. My CIO rarely wears a jacket and the same with his boss unless in meetings with other business units. So what's your opinion?

Is it appropriate to wear a cotton blazer to the office? In meetings within IT? What about with other business units such as sales etc? What situations would you wear yours?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I'm also an IT manager and I've worn my cotton sport coat from Target to meetings and such. People seem to like it. You look a little more professional without coming off as overdressed. A cotton blazer/sport coat is probably your best bet. I used to wear a tie but I was out of place and people didn't think I was some kind of business brass and not relatable. Occasionally I still wear a suit and tie if I'm called on the carpet, so I try to avoid those days. Sales guys were usually in a wool or tweed sport coat, sometimes even in a polo.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I'm not in IT, but in a support function at work. Same deal: all of my suits and sportcoats are wool except for one corduroy blazer. I dress up to the level of the people I'm meeting with. That sounds arrogant. I don't mean to say that I dress down to other groups, but you know what I mean. If the brass wear suits, I'm wearing a suit. Typically, I'll save the corduroy for lateral-level meetings or for no-meeting days, which are rare. My general rule on style at work is that I want to subtly stick out to others who appreciate clothes (I think that's called "signaling", but that also has a negative connotation). Normally, that would be because of quality or attention to detail, not because I dressed incorrectly for the occasion. I can count on one hand the people at my job who would notice surgeon's cuffs or shortwings vs. longwings, and they'll usually just supply the "knowing nod".

TL;dr: if you think a cotton blazer goes with the audience, fire away.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)
    For me, cotton blazers are the Friday dress down type look. The other consulting groups in my government office dress very poorly, chinos and a poor fitting button up is dressing up. The athletic polo shirts are the majority. So I do mix in the cotton blazer if I am not going into DC and no big meetings planned.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    50 Post(s)
    It seems daunting until you actually do it. My workplace is pretty casual; almost no one wears blazers. Once I got promoted to management I did want to set myself apart a bit and began wearing a cotton blazer over the same clothes I wore before. The casual nature of cotton avoids looking too out of place, or like you are trying to look over-important. It provides a bit of distance between you and your employees since you're a little more put together. Ultimately, no one really cares unless you are way out of bounds and the newness will wear off quickly.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    True but there's something else in play here that may complicate things for the OP. Namely that if he wears a blazer, he won't just be out-dressing his subordinates and peers, but also his boss and his boss's boss. How does that factor in?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    True but there's something else in play here that may complicate things for the OP. Namely that if he wears a blazer, he won't just be out-dressing his subordinates and peers, but also his boss and his boss's boss. How does that factor in?
    That was my experience. At my previous position, my boss wore a suit every day, and his deputy at least wore a tie. I did the same. Most days I just wore a tie, and a few times a month I would wear a suit if we were meeting with customers or some brass. At my current position my branch chief is much more laid back from a fashion standpoint and tells us not to wear ties. That is easy to oblige. I still wear the occasional casual blazer though.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    202 Post(s)
    I'm also an IT manager at a financial services company. Generally speaking, the IT folks that work at our company are business casual at best. When I wear blazers, it's typically cotton or tweed, (i.e. more casual fabrics). I'm wearing a chunky, cable-knit shawl-neck cardigan today. People would make comments in the beginning when I started wearing them, but got used to it pretty quickly and stopped. Still, I almost never wear wool blazers to the office these days. It just feels like I'm over-dressed when I do.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    Ultimately, no one really cares unless you are way out of bounds and the newness will wear off quickly.
    This.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    In a more casual workplace, I suspect that people won't even notice/be able to tell the distinction between a wool vs. cotton blazer.