Thread: Heavyweight chino fabrics

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Heavyweight chino fabrics

I'm on a kick of heavier weight fabrics lately. Most of my jeans are 16oz and up, and I just received my first pair of Gustin chinos in 14oz. military corduroy. They feel great, but their business model is incredibly annoying and sometimes expensive. These pants were a borderline absurd for me price of $143 after shipping. Are there any other companies that sell heavier weight fabric or has Gustin basically cornered the market?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)
    BB has 40% off today. The brushed twill is pretty hefty, and is $70 each.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I like flannel lined chinos in the winter/fall as they are pretty hefty. I have a couple of pairs from Bonobos, but you are talking $128 normally. I usually wait for codes/sales and grab em sub $100. You can probably find some less expensive ones at Gap, LLbean, etc. but maybe not as nice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I'll check those out. I think I'm getting a thing for twill, so maybe I'll be in good shape at both places.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I went to Bonobos and BB yesterday. Bonobos didn't seem to have anything heavy, at least in a chino. They had some 5 pocket styles that were a little heavier, but still not what I was looking for.

BB had these which I liked, but they were $118 and did not have my size:
    https://www.brooksbrothers.com/Clark...efault,pd.html

Guess I'll be waiting on a sale for those. I also went to Gap, but didn't see anything. LL Bean had flannel lined pants that had some good heft to them but were absolutely gigantic. I didn't even bother trying them on they looked so huge.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    The best heavy weight chino I've found is those by Todd Snyder (here in khaki; they have other colors):

https://www.toddsnyder.com/collectio...cer-pant-khaki

Not cheap and not very slim but they wear like high quality jeans. You pay but you get very good quality. The material is exactly what I want in a heavy chino. Good for fall and winter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Definitely too rich for my blood for pants. My Gustins were already too expensive.

Was going to pull the trigger on a pair of dark blue BB twills, but they actually don't seem to even carry a 32 inch inseam in anything but their khaki color. Does that sound right? I've heard of manufacturers offering only a single long inseam like 34 or even 36 to save on the different sizes, but not a single short inseam.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Spier and Mackay's casual trousers are heftier than the usual chino but I don't know if they are heavy enough for your taste.

Sent from my MHA-L29 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Try searching for duck canvas pants/chinos. I don't know much about them, but I've seen them advertised and assumed they were quite heavy.

Also, you said you couldn't find any flannel-lined chinos at Gap. Look online. They have them. I also noticed them at JCrew Factory when I popped in a few weeks ago. Seemed well made and fairly heavy. Also try Lands' End and Eddie Bauer.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I picked up another pair of Gustins, this time the duck canvas. I like my current pair except for the annoying button fly. Maybe it'll break in like the denim button fly, but right now it requires a lot of effort to just take a whiz. The fabric is terrific, and I'm hoping the duck canvas will also feel substantial.

Maybe if BB ever starts stocking 32 inseam, I'll pick up a pair of their twills.