Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Boxer shorts passe?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)

Boxer shorts passe?

So while getting dressed this morning my wife commented on how it might be time to replace my boxer shorts. Her thinking is that boxers were fine years ago, but now it was time to change up to a more 'form fitting' underwear. We're not talking tighty whities here but maybe a sport boxer.

Now I gotta confess I've been thinking about this too. Boxers were great but I'm thinking a little more comfort/support would be nice. But damn it, after a hard workout there is something nice about not being all constricted.

So. Where else do I go when I'm confused about style and fashion? To the forums! What about you gents? Are boxer shorts no longer the underwear of choice? Should I start looking for something else? I should mention by the way I did buy a pair of Uniqlo undies (thanks for the recommendation gents) and think they're pretty good. Cheers.
    Last edited by DocDave; December 4th, 2018 at 03:17 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Never wore boxers. Boxer briefs my whole life.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    I’ll chime in as another vote for boxer briefs. I don’t find they are too constricting and I enjoy the form fitting nature of them.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    921 Post(s)
    I am a boxer brief guy as well but I will say finding the perfect pair can take some time. I have tried different brands and fabrics, some mentioned on the threads, but once you find the perfect blend, buy them up. It seems companies change the perfect formula each iteration..

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    447 Post(s)
    All I wear are boxers, J. Crew, Banana Rep. and Gap. I can't stand having anything hugging my junk. One of the reasons I never wear slim fit pants. I find myself constantly fixing my balls. I'd rather go commando, and did for a time, but it's not exactly hygienic.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    156 Post(s)
    Quoted
    941 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Never wore boxers. Boxer briefs my whole life.
    for your parent's sake I hope you potty trained early or that was a messy household for several years lol.

For me, boxer briefs. I have various degrees of "fitted" pairs depending on what I am doing, only a couple are actual "huggers". I used to wear boxers back in the day but made the switch when the boxer briefs became widely available. I didnt like how boxers shifted, rode up and sometimes bunched.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Never liked boxers. When did boxer briefs come out? 20 years ago? I've been wearing them since they came out. Before that, yes, tighty whities. Except at some point I started buying them in colors.

I like the form fitting nature and never liked how boxers scrunch and bunch up inside one's trousers.

I just recently spent a stupid amount of money (for under shorts) on Tommy John boxer briefs. I like them because of the horizontal fly, but they are too expensive.

If you don't mind no fly, I've found these to be quite comfortable--they are one of the top rated on Amazon and made out of bamboo fiber:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Last edited by mebejoseph; December 5th, 2018 at 10:57 AM.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    I’ve never worn boxers except one pair as sleep wear, which has since been supplanted by silky-soft ranger panties.

I’m mostly a briefs guy since most boxer briefs stretch out and ride up on my legs.

Extra long style boxer briefs work for me but I find it uncomfortable to wear that much extra material on a regular basis. I do have a few pairs of of extra long compression short type underwear that I use at the gym. In summer I prefer jockstraps.
    Ben

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    Well I do have a few pairs of boxer briefs and I do like them. Perhaps it is time to do a switch-over. Seems like Joe Boxer's days in my house might be numbered...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I am a boxer brief guy as well but I will say finding the perfect pair can take some time. I have tried different brands and fabrics, some mentioned on the threads, but once you find the perfect blend, buy them up. It seems companies change the perfect formula each iteration..
    I've been kind of amazed at how hard it is to find the perfect pair of boxer briefs. Here are my criteria:

-- understated waistband (meaning in a relatively non-contrasting color and with no bold logos)

-- must have a fly

-- performance fabric (i.e. not 100% cotton)

-- resists pilling

-- waistband withstands washing without falling apart, fraying, or curling

-- reasonably priced

I've been through about five brands and the closest so far is Columbia whose only flaw is a tendency to pill.

On the question of boxers versus boxer briefs, I wore boxers for years but would have trouble going back to them. I like the support and no bunching of BBs.