Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Boxer shorts passe?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I've been kind of amazed at how hard it is to find the perfect pair of boxer briefs. Here are my criteria:

-- understated waistband (meaning in a relatively non-contrasting color and with no bold logos)

-- must have a fly

-- performance fabric (i.e. not 100% cotton)

-- resists pilling

-- waistband withstands washing without falling apart, fraying, or curling

-- reasonably priced

I've been through about five brands and the closest so far is Columbia whose only flaw is a tendency to pill.

On the question of boxers versus boxer briefs, I wore boxers for years but would have trouble going back to them. I like the support and no bunching of BBs.
    I agree with the list of what youíre looking for. I tried many brands: Mack Weldon, MeUndies, and ended up liking Tommy John - but the price is crazy and I only buy the ones that donít have stupid patterns or contrast trim.

BUT I also tested a pair of Besly. I find them almost the same as Tommy John - except they have a normal fly (a plus for me) and I just realized this morning that they are now going for $10 a pair. Thatís a price thatís used to seem high to me back in the day - but for this bunch of brands itís a steal.

Anyone know why Bensley is this low, especially st holiday time? Maybe they are going out or maybe changing to a different line? Seems weird to do that at holiday time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I was a tightie-whitie boy until I was at about middle school, and then switched to boxer briefs on lady-advice in high school. Never looked back!

Quote Originally Posted by Slubby Linen View Post
    I've been kind of amazed at how hard it is to find the perfect pair of boxer briefs. Here are my criteria:

-- understated waistband (meaning in a relatively non-contrasting color and with no bold logos)

-- must have a fly

-- performance fabric (i.e. not 100% cotton)

-- resists pilling

-- waistband withstands washing without falling apart, fraying, or curling

-- reasonably priced

I've been through about five brands and the closest so far is Columbia whose only flaw is a tendency to pill.

On the question of boxers versus boxer briefs, I wore boxers for years but would have trouble going back to them. I like the support and no bunching of BBs.
    Mack Weldon fit this bill for me, but they're pricey.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    Oh, you're right. I wonder where I got that misconception from. I think I have a few pairs of the short ones currently. I guess I know what I'm ordering next!
    30% off $100 right now! Can get them for around $15.75/pair.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    I agree with the list of what youíre looking for. I tried many brands: Mack Weldon, MeUndies, and ended up liking Tommy John - but the price is crazy and I only buy the ones that donít have stupid patterns or contrast trim.

BUT I also tested a pair of Besly. I find them almost the same as Tommy John - except they have a normal fly (a plus for me) and I just realized this morning that they are now going for $10 a pair. Thatís a price thatís used to seem high to me back in the day - but for this bunch of brands itís a steal.

Anyone know why Bensley is this low, especially st holiday time? Maybe they are going out or maybe changing to a different line? Seems weird to do that at holiday time.
    Thanks for the heads up. I just ordered a pair to try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by achosid View Post
    I was a tightie-whitie boy until I was at about middle school, and then switched to boxer briefs on lady-advice in high school. Never looked back!
    Yep, women overwhelmingly prefer boxer briefs on men. Maybe it was the Mark Wahlberg ads that did it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    Since I am on the older side (58) I have worn every type of underwear and many brands. IMO boxers are only OK with loose shorts in the summer. Let the boys breathe.

But 99% of the time, boxer briefs are the greatest invention known to man (parts). I have settled on David Archy Men's Breathable Bamboo Rayon Boxer Briefs with Fly (check out Amazon). Bamboo is amazing. It is soft and breathable, and provides the perfect balance of support vs. comfort.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Unless I know I am going to be active for a fair amount of the day (i.e. I will be doing a lot of walking), I prefer boxers. I prefer things to feel free down there personally. I find keeping things tight to be mildly uncomfortable and really only worth it when I need the benefits of said support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Tommy John and Tani boxer briefs for me. I love the barely there feel. They are expensive, but I got my Tani's a while back when they had a 2-1 sale.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Boxer briefs over boxers any and every day.

And let me add that TRUNKS are even better than boxer briefs. Same construction, but with less thigh coverage. You get all the advantages of the boxer brief but with less fabric. I have a few pair of Jockeys that are great.