Thread: Question on Allen Edmonds 2nds

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Question on Allen Edmonds 2nds

Hello all:

First post here on the forum. A big thanks to all who contribute and help out all of us new to the world of style and who are still learning.

I've been upgrading and building my wardrobe which of course shoes is an important part of. I must admit I am starting to get a little addicted to shoes. This from a guy who spent most of his life in hiking shoes and sneakers.

A few months back I purchased two pairs of AE from their web site. A pair of Park Avenues in brown and a pair of Boulevards also in brown. They were allegedly 1sts but there were numerous scuffs, gouges and the lining had issues as well. In addition I ordered the wrong size (11). I got what I thought was good pricing as a new customers and sales as each shoe cost was about $225. Due to the above I sent them both back.

Last week on the advice of AE i went into an AE outlet store to get properly sized (I remember reading somewhere that they are very thorough when they measure) which consisted of the salesman having me step on the device for a second and telling me my I was a 10. Good thing I looked because the left foot was a 10 the right a 10 1/2. So I pointed it out and he said yeah a 10 1/2.

So I looked around the store and didn't love anything they had in my size although I tried on a pair and the 10 1/2 fit well. Snug, but not uncomfortably so. He looked online and suggested a 5th Avenue which was available in my size as similar to the Park Avenue. They had the coffee color available which looked nice on the display shoe at the store.

Placed my order which arrived very quickly.

I expected some flaws since these were seconds and even the firsts had flaws. I have attached some photos and was hoping for your opinions if they are worth keeping. Nothing was really screaming out as a big issue but some of the problems I noticed:

The color near the cap seems to be lighter near the brogue. I couldn't get a good photo to show it.
    Some scuffs and marks which I don't feel are game changers here.
    The sticking on the inside near one eyelet seems to be bunched or unraveling.
    The sticking on the seam on the leather lining crated a flap rather then laying flat.
    The color on the sides of the soles is inconsistent.

These are my first AE shoes and really my first toe in the water (so to speak) of better quality shoes.
    Prior to this purchase the better shoes I had were Johnston & Murphy, Cole Hahn and Florsheim.

So do you think this pair are keepers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/299147...7698418138650/
    Last edited by Ron; December 4th, 2018 at 01:06 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)
    @Ron - The pictures did not attach.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @Ron - The pictures did not attach.
    Thanks I will try an edit.

Wasn't able to incorporate them in the original post but the link is working.
    Last edited by Ron; December 4th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    LOL Now I deleted the whole post. Not an auspicious start here.

Here is the original post:

Hello all:

First post here on the forum. A big thanks to all who contribute and help out all of us new to the world of style and who are still learning.

I've been upgrading and building my wardrobe which of course shoes is an important part of. I must admit I am starting to get a little addicted to shoes. This from a guy who spent most of his life in hiking shoes and sneakers.

A few months back I purchased two pairs of AE from their web site. A pair of Park Avenues in brown and a pair of Boulevards also in brown. They were allegedly 1sts but there were numerous scuffs, gouges and the lining had issues as well. In addition I ordered the wrong size (11). I got what I thought was good pricing as a new customers and sales as each shoe cost was about $225. Due to the above I sent them both back.

Last week on the advice of AE i went into an AE outlet store to get properly sized (I remember reading somewhere that they are very thorough when they measure) which consisted of the salesman having me step on the device for a second and telling me my I was a 10. Good thing I looked because the left foot was a 10 the right a 10 1/2. So I pointed it out and he said yeah a 10 1/2.

So I looked around the store and didn't love anything they had in my size although I tried on a pair and the 10 1/2 fit well. Snug, but not uncomfortably so. He looked online and suggested a 5th Avenue which was available in my size as similar to the Park Avenue. They had the coffee color available which looked nice on the display shoe at the store.

Placed my order which arrived very quickly.

I expected some flaws since these were seconds and even the firsts had flaws. I have attached some photos and was hoping for your opinions if they are worth keeping. Nothing was really screaming out as a big issue but some of the problems I noticed:

The color near the cap seems to be lighter near the brogue. I couldn't get a good photo to show it.
    Some scuffs and marks which I don't feel are game changers here.
    The sticking on the inside near one eyelet seems to be bunched or unraveling.
    The sticking on the seam on the leather lining crated a flap rather then laying flat.
    The color on the sides of the soles is inconsistent.

These are my first AE shoes and really my first toe in the water (so to speak) of better quality shoes.
    Prior to this purchase the better shoes I had were Johnston & Murphy, Cole Hahn and Florsheim.

So do you think this pair are keepers.

Thanks in advance for the help.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/299147...57698418138650

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)
    Let me see if I can help answer questions:
    1. I see what you mean about the lighter color. With shoe cream and wear, this will darken. It is not glaring by any means from the pics.
    2. Scuffs are fine...it happens when shoes get tried on or shipped.
    3/4. I cannot comment here as there are not great pics but it is up to you how much these matter.
    5. You can get edge dressing from AE which will help here. Shoes over time will lose their edge dressing and I think just buying a stick in the right color will help.

These are honestly really good for 2nds. They could have been far worse and I would not mind wearing these myself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    Let me see if I can help answer questions:
    1. I see what you mean about the lighter color. With shoe cream and wear, this will darken. It is not glaring by any means from the pics.
    2. Scuffs are fine...it happens when shoes get tried on or shipped.
    3/4. I cannot comment here as there are not great pics but it is up to you how much these matter.
    5. You can get edge dressing from AE which will help here. Shoes over time will lose their edge dressing and I think just buying a stick in the right color will help.

These are honestly really good for 2nds. They could have been far worse and I would not mind wearing these myself.
    Thanks for the feedback. I was leaning towards keeping them as I really like the way they fit and look.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    So another question.

I was going to get a supply of Safir shoe cream and polish but am concerned about changing the color. AE has a brown cream polish which they recommend for brown, coffee and mahogany. Since it cannot possible match all 3, is there any benefit to using AE polish as opposed to Safir?
    If I use a cream polish do I need to use a wax polish as well? I saw conflicting advice online.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    306 Post(s)
    They look fine for seconds to me. And my experiences and a colleague's experiences with firsts lately have disappointing. Quality control has seemed to gone down the tubes.

So, if you got a great price, I'd keep them.

As far as polishing, oh boy--if you look at my thread called "show off your shine" you might find some of my experiences with polishing helpful.

The reason for the "oh boy" is that on most shoes, even high quality shoes, trying to put a great shine on them when they are brand news can lead to stripping the color off. However, when I first get them, if I use shoe cream that is close to the color of the shoes and don't buff too hard, they look fine. And I generally wait for a month or two before using wax or anything to put a mirror shine on them.

I have no idea what this is about or why it happens, but that has been my experience over the last year or so.

Maybe somebody else has some ideas.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    They look fine for seconds to me. And my experiences and a colleague's experiences with firsts lately have disappointing. Quality control has seemed to gone down the tubes.

So, if you got a great price, I'd keep them.

As far as polishing, oh boy--if you look at my thread called "show off your shine" you might find some of my experiences with polishing helpful.

The reason for the "oh boy" is that on most shoes, even high quality shoes, trying to put a great shine on them when they are brand news can lead to stripping the color off. However, when I first get them, if I use shoe cream that is close to the color of the shoes and don't buff too hard, they look fine. And I generally wait for a month or two before using wax or anything to put a mirror shine on them.

I have no idea what this is about or why it happens, but that has been my experience over the last year or so.

Maybe somebody else has some ideas.
    I read the thread. Some impressive shines for sure. So what is your advice for some brand new shoes? Just use a cream polish and forego the wax for a bit?

PS. Love your signature line lol.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    306 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    I read the thread. Some impressive shines for sure. So what is your advice for some brand new shoes? Just use a cream polish and forego the wax for a bit?

PS. Love your signature line lol.
    That's what I would do and am doing for all my new shoes now. And also stay away from conditioners and such at the beginning. And don't buff too hard.

Once you're ready to put a great shine on, there are lots of videos on youtube. I like the one from the world champion shoe polisher--but there are other good ones. I suggest watching the end first to see if you are impressed with the results. If you don't like the results, don't watch the remainder.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.