Thread: New Suit care

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)

New Suit care

Hello everyone, I was just wondering, I know dry-cleaning is bad for suits and I try to steer clear when I wear a suit. I have a good brush,steamer and suit bags along with all the bells and whistles for moths(i.e. cedar hangars,moth ball bags). Thanks to this forum I've really learned a lot about protecting my clothes. One thing I didn't think about and the question is when you buy a NEW suit would you take it to the cleaners first before packing into it's bag or just take it from the store or box(I love Suit Supply) and bag it away? Thanks for the help.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Dry clean it the first thing. You don't know where it's been.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    367 Post(s)
    Usually my tailor will clean/steam it after doing alternations and I think it's fine to wear after that. Especially with a suit hopefully you are wearing underwear and then you've got other layers between you and the garment. There is really no need to clean right away from my perspective.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    I have never had a new suit cleaned before wearing and nothing bad has ever happened to me.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    Yeah, I don't pre-clean my suits. It's not like you're going to eat off it. Maybe steam out some wrinkles, but otherwise just wear it.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1838 Post(s)
    I've never drycleaned a new suit. Sometimes I steam them if they're a bit wrinkly out of the box, though most of the suits I buy nowadays are high enough quality (S&M, SS) that most wrinkles will relax on their own after hanging for a bit.

Generally you dryclean to remove stains and foreign particles like food, dead skin, body oils, etc, and to kill any bacteria or mold spores or other little critters that exist out and about in our environment and might decide that those particles or the wool fibers of your suit are a tasty snack. None of that should really be an issue with a new suit.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    167 Post(s)
    I brush it well and then take it to the cleaners for press only, usually. I got one in last night that I will probably just steam at home at some point.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Thanks for the help everyone, so Ill know what to do with what's in the Suit Supply box under the tree this year.