Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Business casual / dress boot suggestions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)

Business casual / dress boot suggestions

My dress black cap toe J&M shoes recently went in for a resole, but before I did it, I started to think about replacing them with a pair of boots of similar style. Thursday has their Captain which looks perfect for what I want: 6 inch shaft, dress profile, speed hooks, dainite sole, cap toe.

The reviews seem fair to middling on the quality though. I have a pair of Red Wing blacksmiths that I've worn since July of 2015 and they just keep looking better. I'd like to find something with similar quality that will last and look great for years. I think the Captains could work, though their QC seems hit or miss.

Though the Captains are $200, I don't mind spending $300 or so for the right pair. Any other suggestions?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Have you considered the AE Higgins Mill? I'm not sure they are still on sale but they had some nice prices on them last week.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    72 Post(s)

Business casual / dress boot suggestions

Wolverine does a cap to boot as well and seem to fit the rest of your requirements. I love my pair and probably wear those more than the Alden 403s or the daltons that I own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Useknifeonly; December 1st, 2018 at 12:34 PM.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kddub2001 View Post
    Have you considered the AE Higgins Mill? I'm not sure they are still on sale but they had some nice prices on them last week.
    The cap-toe version is Normandy, and they are on sale for $276 right now. But no speed hooks.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...ot/SF8300.html
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    400 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1837 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    The cap-toe version is Normandy, and they are on sale for $276 right now. But no speed hooks.

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...ot/SF8300.html
    FWIW I would just clarify that the Normandy is not a cap-toe “version” of the Higgins Mill - they are two totally different boots.
    Ben

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    FWIW I would just clarify that the Normandy is not a cap-toe “version” of the Higgins Mill - they are two totally different boots.
    And Surrey is another cap-toe version also on sale. More color choices and it has speed hooks:

https://www.allenedmonds.com/shoes/m...&start=1&sz=36
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Why not resole the current boots and then get something different to add to the collection to change things up? When you say business casual and boot, you're screaming "chukka!" at the top of your lungs.. Just saying...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I often ride a motorcycle to work so I need something that covers my ankle, so Chukkas are out.

Wolverine 1k mile boots were supposed to be at the Needless Markup near me, but apparently they lied and only carry them online. Lame.

There was an Allen Edmonds store in the same mall, so I checked out the Higgins Mill. They look too much like the Blacksmiths I already own, at least from an upper standpoint. The Sullivan Street looked perfect, but I didn't like the contrasting pebbled leather. The Daltons were a little too in my face for a boot, and no speed hooks.

I also stopped into a J Crew store and didn't expect much, but I found the Kenton cap toe and the Pacer. I bought the cap toe in brown, but might go back for the pacer. It isn't what I was originally looking for, but I think I like it more. Here's a comparison shot:

From the left: blacksmith, blacksmith, pacer, cap toe:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had a terrible experience with Thursday Boots. Their stuff looks nice but the insole and lining sucks, imo. I will add that their customer service is on point though as they went out of their way to try to satisfy me and let me exchange some shoes that I had worn where I even torn out the foot bed! (it's really bad, not leather, squeaks and creaks like nobody's business)
    I like the Pacer that you picked out. Have you considered a Chelsea boot? Meermin has some up for $240. I bought the Allen Edmonds Surrey cap toe but returned it because it was very bulky, felt like more of a work boot, didn't really look good with chinos/pants. I've heard good things about the Higgins mill boot but don't have any personal experience with them.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    That's a bummer you had such problems with TBC. It's a shame they are trying to win on price alone. With the quality of other manufacturers like AE starting to slip, the $300 price point would be ripe for their product if it's up to snuff.

I'm just not a big fan of how Chelsea boots look, though they do look far more convenient to put on a take off.

I agree that the Surrey looks a bit too similar to my Red Wings. Too bulky for business casual.