Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to wear while skiing?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)

Question What to wear while skiing?

Hello, long time reader and first time poster here. I'm about to go on my very first ski trip with my girlfriend and some of her friends. My question is as follows: What do I wear/bring with me to the slopes? Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Rd27

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    It -really- depends what the temperature and weather is going to be like where you are going out. Also, I would say a lot depends on where you are going skiing - the weather can change a lot faster and be way more unpredictable in the mountains that say if you skiing on a hill in the Midwest.

Another question I would have for you is if this is your first time skiing or just your first time going out skiing on a trip like this. There can be a massive difference temperature wise from the top of the mountain versus the bottom and if you are going to be on the lower elevation beginner slopes all day you will likely not need to dress as warm.

Without know the situation very much, the best things I can recommend are these:
    1) Good snow pants. Especially if you are a beginner and are going to be falling a lot, you are going to get wet, and if you get wet you are going to get colder way faster.
    2) Long underwear. A good pair of merino wool underwear is a godsend and both keeping you warm and pulling away the moisture from your skin when you get hot.
    3) A Helmet. Rent one or buy one, but just make sure you have one. You aren't cool if you don't wear one, they are surprisingly comfortable and warm, and in the case of you wrecking yourself (or someone wrecking themselves in to you), you are going to be happy you had it.
    4) Layering. A good insulated jacket is nice, but you can get away with something with way less if you just are smart about layering.
    5) Ski socks. Ski boots suck and a good pair of ski socks can go a long way to making you feet feel less shitty.

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Varies depending on conditions. But generally you need a base layer (merino wool is best), an insulating midlayer (fleece, down, etc) and a weatherproof outer shell like Gore-Tex. If you’re skiing in cold, dry conditions it probably doesn’t need to be super waterproof. A lot of brands like The North Face and Columbia make “3-in-1” style coats that have an outer shell and an inner insulating layer that zips or snaps in. If you are skiing in pow you probably want a coat with a powder skirt that snaps into your pants and keeps snow from coming up the inside of your jacket.

For pants you will want specific ski pants that have an internal gaiter that tucks into your boot to keep snow from coming up your pants. These pants are sometimes insulated and sometimes not so again, depending on your conditions, you may need an insulating layer.

Socks - generally you will want something knee high but not too thick, since ski boots do a pretty good job keeping your feet warm.

Gloves - just depends on how cold it is. Kinco pigskin gloves treated with Sno Seal are cheap and effective and were de rigueur among lift techs and ski patrol the last time I did much skiing.

Balaclava or other face protection is a good idea if it’s going to be really frigid.

Helmet - yes.

Goggles - yes.

Remember to clip your toenails. And wear sunscreen on your face.
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Hello again and thank you for the quick replies.

This will be my first time skiing (I've been water-skiing before, but I'm sure it's different). From what I know so far, the trip will be in the mountains of West Virginia in January.

What sorts of boots/shoes will I need for this?

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Regardless of whether you are doing downhill/Alpine or cross-country/Nordic, you'll have to get ski boots as part of a rental package when you get your skis and poles. These are activity-specific boots that are designed to clip into the ski bindings and, in the case of downhill skis, keep your ankles immobilized to reduce the risk of injury.

Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    What sorts of boots/shoes will I need for this?
    You just pray to god that the rental place you go to has a good boot fitter.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    89 Post(s)
    All of this is good advice. On socks...they make special socks for downhill ski boots. The reason is that you put a lot of pressure on your shins when you're downhill skiing - the only way those boots will flex is forward, but it's a fairly stiff flex so you have to really push your shin into the front of the boot to get the flexion that is necessary for the motion used to initiate turns. All that pressure means that socks with ribbing on the calves (most socks made for hiking and other athletic pursuits have such ribbing) can get pretty irritating pretty quickly, so they make socks with no ribbing in the calves. Also, they don't have a toe seam as your downhill boots should be pretty snug for optimal control over your skis.

They make ski pants with an elastic around the ankle - this is a substitute with the ones with built in gaiters as the elastic fits snugly enough around your boot to keep out snow. I would wear some sort of performance wicking base layer top and bottom, followed by an insulating layer (for the bottom a pair of sweat pants will probably do if you don't have something with a more performance oriented fabric) and then a shell. May want slightly more insulation up top on your torso.

This is probably a downhill ski trip as when most people refer to ski trips that is what they're going for...but if you are going to be nordic (AKA cross country) skiing wear what you'd wear for a run/jog in similar conditions. Nordic skiing is a completely different animal than downhill as far as cardiovascular effort is concerned, and if you dress the same way as you do for downhill while nordic skiing you'll get waaaay overheated and sweat buckets.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    To be clear, this is going to be a lot less about style than it is about the skiing. WV in January is going to be pretty cold.

Layers:

Outerwear - You will want the most wind/waterproof outer layers that you can find while still having breathability. Successfully getting both is very expensive (Goretex and similar) otherwise you are usually sacrificing one for the other. You will need a jacket or shell and snow pants as well.
    Mid-layer - Up top, this is usually a very breathable sweatshirt or light jacket material that is about warmth and, again, breathability. This is not an important layer to have water resistance so don't worry about that.
    Sub layers - Good wicking/breathing long underwear options, almost always wool of some kind. You will want bottoms and a top.
    Socks - Get ski specific socks. They are key as the number one reason people quit/go in for the day is due to cold toes which is most often the result of sweaty feet that freeze over.

Other items:
    Gloves/mittens
    Helmet/hat
    Goggles
    Face covering

Mentioned
    427 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2074 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dtbleu View Post
    To be clear, this is going to be a lot less about style than it is about the skiing
    Unless he really wants it to be about the style, in which case, deffo bundle up in some flannel-lined jeans and a shawl cardigan and slip-on Bean boots and settle in at the ski lodge with some hot chocolates and IPAs while your friends are out freezing their butts off on the slopes

Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    29 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rd27 View Post
    Hello, long time reader and first time poster here. I'm about to go on my very first ski trip with my girlfriend and some of her friends. My question is as follows: What do I wear/bring with me to the slopes? Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Rd27
    +1 on helmet and goggles, sunscreen and i'll throw in lip balm as well.

Layers as members have stated are huge because at some point you'll be in the lodge stomping around in boots and heavy pants. Anything you can peel off will go a long way towards comfort.

There will be multiple people there in jeans and loud early 90s ski gear, both of which make my day.