Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Business casual / dress boot suggestions

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    For anke-support issues (read: messed up tendons from years of playing second row in rugby), I wear boots almost exclusively. I've been putting at least 5-7 miles on my thursday boot captains almost daily for the past 4 months and have yet to see an issue, soles are fine, leather's soft and supple but still supportive. For a little more you can get a better boot probably but don't let the bad reviews scare you off if you like the look or that's your price point. Mine are doing just fine.

That said, for real punishing weather or hiking I've got my redwing Iron Rangers so if you're looking for a "swiss army" boot, you might want to look elsewhere.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    this is a nice album from reddit/r/goodyearwelt:

https://imgur.com/a/vf3QwQh#WhZkMPx

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    143 Post(s)
    AE higgins boots in real life:

https://imgur.com/a/8km7eVG

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I swapped out the cap toe for the pacer. I really like them so far, but I've only been breaking them in around the house for the past 2 days.

Maybe I'll still pony up for the TBC Captain. The positive reviews really dominate Amazon. What size did you go with? I'm a 9 in my Red Wings, but a 9.5 in J Crew. I'm usually a 10.5 in normal kicks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    I'm always a 13 .

I will say the TBC fits more snuggly than the redwings do, but that's more the cut of the boot and the rise of the toe.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer24 View Post
    this is a nice album from reddit/r/goodyearwelt:

https://imgur.com/a/vf3QwQh#WhZkMPx
    Those. Those are some sexy boots.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    It was a neat Imgur album, but there wasn't really any context for the pictures.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    I swapped out the cap toe for the pacer. I really like them so far, but I've only been breaking them in around the house for the past 2 days.

Maybe I'll still pony up for the TBC Captain. The positive reviews really dominate Amazon. What size did you go with? I'm a 9 in my Red Wings, but a 9.5 in J Crew. I'm usually a 10.5 in normal kicks.
    Spend some time on r/goodyearwelt, I trust those boot dorks far more than the Amazon world, and the general take is not overly positive.

Also, I wouldn't make speed hooks a requirement here. 99% of the time you can add them later .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Long time lurker here. I've often considered adding my thoughts on various topics and finally decided to dive in.

I've been a Thursday Boot customer for over two years. I first purchased the President boot in dark brown and the Captains boot in Natural. Since then I have added various other boots and even purchased a few things for my wife. I can only speak for my experiences, but I have had zero quality control issues with TBC. I don't go hiking in them, but I wear them for pretty much everything daily wear can throw at them. I find them extremely comfortable and I love the slim profile. Maybe I am lucky, but I haven't had one problem with any of the boots I have purchased and I wear them all the time. Further, my wife loves how I look in them which is a very good thing.

One other thing I like very much about the boots is that any minor scuffs and scratches are easily buffed out. I haven't yet had to polish them. I just use some leather balm and a soft cloth. Anyway, they are boots and I personally like the character they develop over time.

I hope this is helpful. Just wanted to chime in with some first hand experience.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    I have had the French Roast Vanguards in my cart for like 4 weeks and still have not pulled the trigger. I have a pair of Wolverine 1000 Mile Cap toes, and I know they are probably a little bit better quality than the Thursday, but the Wolverines are just clunky and heavy in my opinion. Why am I so cheap?!?!