Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can a heterosexual man wear a pair of swimtrunks like these?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    47 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    Let's be real for a second and stop being overly PC. Some guys don't like chunky cardigans coz it makes them look old, and it just so happens that most old guys prefer that garment (or at least that's how they're portrayed in movies). It doesn't mean they hate or look down on old people, they just don't want to project that image. For me, despite being considered a classic, I wouldn't wear a leather perfecto biker jacket. It gives off a rocker/biker image and that's just not me, so I go for a cafe racer instead. It doesn't mean I hate rockers or bikers. It's the same thing with avoiding styles that most gay guys go for, like short shorts. I have several gay friends, and have hung out with them where I was the only straight guy, but I don't wanna dress like them.
    I agree with this. If someone posted a pic of a Filson Mackinaw Jacket in buffalo plaid and asked if people would assume he was a lumberjack and wanted, in good faith, an honest assessment, no one would say "dude, who cares, wear what you want" or suggest it's a troll post. He is asking about the signals that a particular item may send, which is what we do here. All. The. Time. In fact, I've seen people here make the explicit claim that they care about fashion primarily because of the what garments say about the wearer. But in this case, a guy wishes to not convey a particular signal, in good faith, because that signal would not accurately reflect him and he's accused of being homophobic or gay himself (as if it's an insult, which is very ironic).

Enough with the virtue signaling, guys.

Edit because it just occurred to me: The responses here are all the more frustrating given the recent thread on a James Dean article in which someone essentially accused the author of willfully whitewashing Dean's sexuality by failing to mention it due to Dean's style and sexuality being inextricably linked. Are style and sexuality linked or not? If so, can we have a grown-up discussion about it? Are we able to ask questions? Is that answer conditional on the identity of the person asking? Which is it guys?
    Last edited by Burner; November 27th, 2018 at 04:08 PM.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonlorenzen View Post
    I am worried they might convey to others around me that I am homosexual.
    You are sad.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JT10000 View Post
    You are sad.
    No, he's gay, absolutely elated.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Burner View Post
    I agree with this. If someone posted a pic of a Filson Mackinaw Jacket in buffalo plaid and asked if people would assume he was a lumberjack and wanted, in good faith, an honest assessment, no one would say "dude, who cares, wear what you want" or suggest it's a troll post. He is asking about the signals that a particular item may send, which is what we do here. All. The. Time. In fact, I've seen people here make the explicit claim that they care about fashion primarily because of the what garments say about the wearer. But in this case, a guy wishes to not to convey a particular signal, in good faith, because that signal would not accurately reflect him and he's accused of being homophobic or gay himself (as if it's an insult, which is very ironic).

I guess I may be blind to some of this becuase I live in Atlanta where we have a high LGBTQ community that is strangely diverse...so there isnt as much of a "homosexual" look here.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    185 Post(s)
    I've never cared for long swim trunks.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    363 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Evenflow View Post
    I've never cared for long swim trunks.
    Same, I would wear those short shorts, but I'm only 5'6" so those would actually look proportionally normal on me.

The bigger concern than "looking gay" would be looking European.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    285 Post(s)
    I agree with this. If someone posted a pic of a Filson Mackinaw Jacket in buffalo plaid and asked if people would assume he was a lumberjack and wanted, in good faith, an honest assessment, no one would say "dude, who cares, wear what you want" or suggest it's a troll post. He is asking about the signals that a particular item may send, which is what we do here. All. The. Time. In fact, I've seen people here make the explicit claim that they care about fashion primarily because of the what garments say about the wearer. But in this case, a guy wishes to not convey a particular signal, in good faith, because that signal would not accurately reflect him and he's accused of being homophobic or gay himself (as if it's an insult, which is very ironic).

Edit because it just occurred to me: The responses here are all the more frustrating given the recent thread on a James Dean article in which someone essentially accused the author of willfully whitewashing Dean's sexuality by failing to mention it due to Dean's style and sexuality being inextricably linked. Are style and sexuality linked or not? If so, can we have a grown-up discussion about it? Are we able to ask questions? Is that answer conditional on the identity of the person asking? Which is it guys?
    For what it's worth, I would also think it's dumb to worry about looking like a lumberjack for wearing buffalo plaid if you otherwise liked the shirt. It seems like his preference for the shorts is going to be determined by whether it "looks gay" more than if he likes them. That's dumb, in my opinion.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nandyn View Post
    Same, I would wear those short shorts, but I'm only 5'6" so those would actually look proportionally normal on me.

The bigger concern than "looking gay" would be looking European.

Ha. My wife actually made the European comment too.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)

One difference is that lumberjacks are not a segment of society which has been historically oppressed, criminalized, treated as either non-existent (at best) or as aberrations deserving of disgust, scorn, abuse, even outright torture and execution. There is also the obvious difference that "lumberjack" is an occupation and "gay" is a romantic/sexual orientation - there is a way to look like a lumberjack, because lumberjacks actually dress a particular way as part of their occupation. There is not a way to "look like" a gay person, because gay people all dress however the heck they want, and unless you're at a pride parade or a leather bar, that's pretty much the same as anyone else. If you think gay men all dress over-the-top flamboyant and body conscious in their style, then I suspect you probably haven't (knowingly) interacted with a lot of ordinary gay men in your life and are gleaning your "knowledge" of gay men from shallow TV tropes and stereotypes.

How's this. Try "I personally think (insert innocuous clothing item here) is very stylish. However, I am worried (insert innocuous clothing item here) might convey to others around me that I am a Jew." See if you still think it's such a harmless, "good faith" question. Ask yourself why anyone would care about "looking like" a Jew, or what a person must believe about Jewish people or the way that Jewish people are or ought to be treated that they would be fearful of being mistaken for one.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    What if a black guy says he doesn't want to wear baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and bling coz he doesn't want to look like a rapper or a banger from the hood. Is that ok then coz he's black? Or do we assume he hates his own race?