Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Can a heterosexual man wear a pair of swimtrunks like these?

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1460 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gochrisgo View Post
    I am fascinated by how what we wear connects to our identity and how it projects our power. I'm glad you asked this question and sparked some interesting discussion. It can't be all Allen Edmonds all the time, right?

For many years, lesbian and gay people used clothing to send signals to each other - handkerchiefs in the back pocket, plaid shirts, for a while in the late 90s "Chelsea Boys" wore sleeveless t-shirts, denim shorts, and work boots - perhaps as a way to project strength and a masculine power in the face of AIDS. You might interested in this 99% Invisible podcast which talks a bit about lesbians, Scottish warriors, and plaid: https://99percentinvisible.org/episo...of-interest-2/

To flip it a bit, I sometimes wonder what I should wear as a gay man. For years I didn't wear baseball hats, partly because I am not interested at all in sports (sometimes the stereotype fits!) and because I had a hard time finding one that fit my head. I now wear a Yankees hat, especially when I'm taking my son for long afternoons at the playground. Someones people ask me about the Yankees and I try to just nod and smile. I wear it because they are the easiest hat to come by in my size here in NYC and the navy color is versatile.

The idea of a "midtown uniform" worn by Pata-bro-nia finance guys is another example of clothing and identity. I'm in Midtown and wearing one right now - over my Proper Cloth dress shirt, Bonobos jeans and AE boots. I think each of these things in some small way is chose to reflect who we think we are or who we'd like to be.

I've had more than 40 years experience in being gay. In my expert eye, these do not strike me as "gay." Something about the photo realistic nature of the print feels off to me and the thickness of the navy piping. I also have noticed that fit and especially fashionable gay men (I'm neither) have moved to wearing swimming suits that have button closures -- or at least not draw strings -- and more Italian, Missoni style patterns like these or these.

From what I see on Instagram and among my friends (some of my best friends are gay!), Mr. Turk is a leader in "gay" swimwear, and Parke & Ronen has done these for a long time too. I'd be interested to know what brand these are. One could also have a "gay voice" or a "gay face" fwiw.

If I had the body to wear something cut like this, I'd just go for it -- straight, gay or somewhere in between. Why not, its vacation! Try something new.
    This was a very well written post. Awesome. And you know what? If I had the body of this guy I'd be wearing those shorts in a heart beat!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Hey @Wes, I probably shouldn't have said that snap trunks are gay per se. Cool that you're rocking the look.

I think they are a newer, more fashion forward style. Maybe gay men who are (stereotypically, at least) more likely to work in fashion or follow it are more likely to have a newer style.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    19 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wes View Post
    I didn't realize snap button closures for trunks are related to sexuality at all, but I bought a pair of 6 inch, slim cut shorts with button snap closures last spring and they're such an amazing improvement over loose, billowy and bagging drawstring trunks that get all stretched out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    THIS!

In my youth, shorts and swimwear were short. Then, those "loose, billowy" cargo short abominations took over. Can the even be called shorts if they hit your knee (or worse - below your knee)? Fortunately, in the past few years, I've been able to find shorter, fitted, not-billowy shorts and swimwear and life is good once more.

On those particular shorts, I'm not excited about the print. But, if they came in a solid color in that length, I'd wear them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    @LesserBlackDog Yeah, this is correct. You can say you don't like an article of clothing because it's too flashy or flamboyant or something, but why that needs to be tied to sexual orientation is beyond me. Gay people may be more likely to wear flashier clothing, but that doesn't make flashy clothing gay.
    Last edited by robottawa; November 30th, 2018 at 02:56 AM. Reason: Reply did not quote original post.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    316 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robottawa View Post
    @LesserBlackDogGay people may be more likely to wear flashier clothing, but that doesn't make flashy clothing gay.
    Many people are just narrow minded; perhaps that's how brains work by default. I was just like OP until about five years ago. These days I wear everything I was not a fan of prior to five years ago.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I like the pattern myself. If you've got the body, rock em, besides you're probably at the beach, have some fun!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    So here's how I see it.

1. Those trunks look fantastic, they ooze sex appeal and not overly so (like a speedo). Gay or straight, I'd rock them (just need to drop 20 lb to pull them off), and while I probably swing pretty cis/het male, I'd check out any dude who pulls them off. Looks good bro.

2. I echo @gochrisgo. I also think it's interesting how those signals vary across cultures. When I lived in Brazil, I was seen as a less than a man for not wearing a sunga (read, speedo). Though I'm not sure if the question is one of modesty with these trunks, I'd just point out that in one of the most "macho" cultures out there, this would be seen as prudish. Fun how that varies.

3. I wonder what else we telegraph intentionally or unintentionally through our clothes, do we adhere to archetypes and is having those archetypes (or sterotypes) problematic (I hate that word by the way, but for lack of a better adjetive I'll use it)?

Like the Goldman Sachs FinBro in patagonia and sleds, it's possible those signals aren't tied to identities that spark debate, but where else do we see them?

The world I work in (higher ed) is actually very anti-dressing up, to an extent. Suit/Tie is reserved for very formal settings and even throwing on a sportcoat makes you look like a try-hard. You get more side-eye than you do praise. Doesn't stop me from dressing well when I'm on the road (and I'm corporate so I get away with more) but I do change what I'm wearing to fit in with the people I'm working with that day (Front office, faculty or cabinet).

Mentioned
    216 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1460 Post(s)
    Gents, just wanted to say that six pages in to this thread and zero flame war. I'm happy to see everyone having a good discussion without the need to get angry/offensive/whatever. Well done gents!

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    Omg we get a gold star!!!!
    Ben

Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Quoted
    373 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Gents, just wanted to say that six pages in to this thread and zero flame war. I'm happy to see everyone having a good discussion without the need to get angry/offensive/whatever. Well done gents!