Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can a heterosexual man wear a pair of swimtrunks like these?

Mentioned
    430 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2083 Post(s)
    What if we come up with more inapt comparisons that have no connection whatsoever to the query posed by the OP?
    Ben

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    561 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    What if we come up with more inapt comparisons that have no connection whatsoever to the query posed by the OP?
    Okay, that sounds fun. What if somebody liked the way a pith helmet looked, but didn't want to be confused with a big-game hunter or an imperialist who oppressed indigenous people and destroyed their habitats? Would we condemn him here? How could we blame him for not wanting to be mistaken as one of those dreadful people?

I'm trying to come up with some stuff about astronauts and pirates as well, but I'm still at the office.
    WHY ARE THE GUYS IN SUITS HERE? HAS SOMETHING GONE WRONG?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    What if a black guy says he doesn't want to wear baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and bling coz he doesn't want to look like a rapper or a banger from the hood. Is that ok then coz he's black? Or do we assume he hates his own race?
    Better question is why you associate baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and "bling" with Black folk? (Also, internalized homophobia/racism/transphobia/etc is very much a thing, and not that farfetched given we live in a society that will always favor the cisgender white straight male.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Quoted
    189 Post(s)
    Looking at folks as colors or cateogories is such waste of energy that could be used for some other purpose.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by L_Wilson View Post
    Better question is why you associate baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and "bling" with Black folk? (Also, internalized homophobia/racism/transphobia/etc is very much a thing, and not that farfetched given we live in a society that will always favor the cisgender white straight male.)
    Because I've seen movies or tv shows where a white guy dresses that way, and another character says to him "why do you dress like that, you're not black" or something to that effect. Also, I see how rappers dress (hip-hop is the only music I listen to, though today's rappers are mostly garbage, except Kendrick and a few others).

There are certain looks we associate with gender, sexuality, age, profession, sports, hobbies, lifestyles, nationalities, etc., and while these stereotypes are not always accurate, the associations are there whether we like it or not.

Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Quoted
    511 Post(s)
    My friend is over, and he is gay, and told me he doesn't like those shorts. Does that make him straight?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    156 Post(s)
    No joke, I have a gay friend who asked me (and another gay friend and two other female friends) if a certain item of clothing would make him look gay, and another gay friend, I've heard him say "I wouldn't wear that, it's too gay". Does that make them homophobes?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    If your body looks like that, sure you can pull it, most people will think you are just a show off not a gay male.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandonlorenzen View Post
    So I was looking at this pair of swim trunks that I personally think are very stylish. However, they are really short and I am worried they might convey to others around me that I am homosexual. I know some of you will be trying to tell me, "Don't worry about what other people think, just wear them if you like them." Thank you, but that's not what I'm trying to get at. If you saw a man wearing swim trunks like these on the beach or something, would any of you think, "Wow those are really short, he's probably gay." If I'm being ridiculous please let me know. Thank you.
    Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by julius12 View Post
    What if a black guy says he doesn't want to wear baggy jeans, sneakers, hoodies, and bling coz he doesn't want to look like a rapper or a banger from the hood. Is that ok then coz he's black? Or do we assume he hates his own race?
    Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I think you've got your analogy backwards.

Being black is more akin to being gay - we're born that way. And dress all different ways.

Dressing like a lumberjack or "banger" is more of a choice.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Ignoring from the notion that your clothes may signal to others around you your sexual preference - if you're hesitant to buy the trunks, which are certainly a statement piece, odds are you won't wear them even if you do buy them.