Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to Cold Weather, Need Suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

New to Cold Weather, Need Suggestions

Hey Guys,

I have lived in Phoenix most of my life. I am moving to Pittsburgh in January for grad school. I've never lived in a place where it snows.

The university requires business casual for most days. I have lots of chinos, a few dress trousers, OCBDs, dress shirts, 2 blazers, merino sweaters, etc. My questions revolve mostly around winter outerwear and footwear.

1. What coats do I need for school and casual? For school I have a heavier navy car coat and a charcoal pea coat. For casual I have an olive field coat and lightweight navy bomber. Will I need a down parka?

2. What footwear do I need for school and casual? For school I have some wingtip boots, dressier chukkas, longwings, double monks, black oxfords. For casual I have clark db and thursday boot captains. Do I need proper insulated snow boots?

3. Any other tips for dressing well and staying warm in cold weather?

Thank you for any advice my cold weather brothers can offer!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    Sounds like you've got most of the major pieces covered, but you'll find that the little pieces can make big differences. You'll notice the temperature difference in your extremities first.

Thicker wool socks are a must. The thickness will keep you warm outside, but being wool will breathe when you start overheating inside so you don't get the frozen sweaty foot when you step outside. Feet are the one area of the body you can't layer, after all.

Gloves, scarves and a hat (toque/beanie/watchcap recommended depending upon your hairstyle) make a big difference in comfort but are easy to stash in a bag when unneeded.

Long underwear is another option. Cheaper than buying a new set of flannel trousers, and in the right materials and weave will be both warmer and breathable. Plus if you find yourself roasting once indoors you can remove the layer, discreetly.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    132 Post(s)
    Make sure you know how to layer properly:
    https://www.rei.com/learn/expert-adv...ng-basics.html

If it gets colder than -10C and you will be exposed to the cold for more than 30 mins you probably need a proper down parka.

Thermal tights also help a lot, coz a coat usually only covers up the torso, neck, and arms, but the cold goes through jeans easily.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    166 Post(s)
    I like flannel trousers quite a bit in winter.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Will you be outdoors a lot? Walking to class, waiting for a bus or train? If so, you’ll want long underwear (silk is very comfortable and surprisingly warm), Thinsulate gloves and hat, a long wool or down coat, and merino wool socks.

If not (i.e., just going from cars to buildings), you can get by with a lot less.

I belong to the former camp and relish my warm, wooly layers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Btw, I’ve found Clark’s desert boots to be nearly worthless in the cold and wet (hence the name?). Great for drier shoulder seasons, though. Stick with the Thursdays in the winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    69 Post(s)
    I recommend LL Bean boots with Darn Tough Wool socks for very snowy days. They are relatively inexpensive, stand up to everything, and are so homely they somehow end up being cool.

Longer ribbed merino or cashmere scarves are great because they are warmer and work in casual and more business casual settings.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    I went to college in Pittsburgh. It gets cold! You got a lot of good advice but the best is the LL Bean boots. You’ll have snow and ice to contend with for most of the winter. Stepping off sidewalks and onto the street, where you are never sure of the consistency of the wintery mix, is the worst.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I will definitely invest in the suggested items. I have a wool watchcap, some wool gloves, a couple of scarves, and a couple pairs of heavy carhart boot socks. I also have two pairs of midweight thermal underwear pants. I believe they are a poly/wool blend.

I'm thinking I should get a few more pairs of the boot socks and thermal underwear. What do you guys think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Also, to answer your question ajk, I will have a mixture of walking/taking the bus and driving.