Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New to Cold Weather, Need Suggestions

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Gotcha Galcobar. I guess I was trying to refer to thick wool blend socks when I said "boot socks". Thanks for the heads up.

Lol, I think you're right on the money concerning rubber soles and smooth leather. All of the aforementioned shoes have both of those traits.

I just asked my school if we will have lockers and they said yes. I also assume that I will have some place to stash my stuff during clinical rotations. So maybe I will just commute in the duck boots and stash some nicer shoes in the locker/office. Thanks again for all of the help guys!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mlstein View Post
    Uniqlo heattech undershirts are your friend, and they're often on sale. You might also consider picking up one of their ultra light down vests to layer with. And don't forget scarves--nice hefty ones are terrific in cool and cold weather, can be real elements of style, and can be adjusted with the temperature. Long ones are particularly useful. Cyber Monday specials are great for scarves since they're all one size (whatever size they happen to be), and though this isn't a Uniqlo ad their $15 heattech scarves are surprisingly nice if you just want something cheap to experiment with.
    Uniqlo also have heat tech dress pants, that look like a dressy chino style. They are really warm; I have a gray pair that I like in winter when I have to spend some time outside dressed business casual.

For the wool socks, I am really happy with the thick merino ones that I got from Costco last year. I can wear them 2-3 times between washes if it's cold and they are in non-funky dress shoes. Also they are great for running in the cold weather.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    You got some good advice. You definitely want good gloves, a hat, and socks. I like Smart Wool or Darn Tough.

L.L. Bean boots are awesome in the snow. I have the insulated gore-tex ones, but they are pricey at $200.

Layers are important, so maybe get a down vest that you can layer under the wool coat.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I personally hate bean boots and sorel / pac style boots. Aesthetically and functionally they've always bugged me. I just returned to winter after a few years' hiatus and went with the Danner Raptor 650. I've walked an hour in snow with the temp in single digits and they were very warm. The outsole is also amazing on ice. Best of all, they feel / fit like Danner's mountain light hikers, not like gigantic clogs on your feet.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adammn View Post
    Ok guys, I purchased another wool watchcap, a couple of scarves, and some thinsulate lined gloves. I already have 2 pairs of the thermal underwear but may get another.

I will look into the uniqlo heattech undershirts. Do you guys reccomend wearing a thermal shirt too? Or just pants?

To answer your question mark4, I will be attending physician assistant school. The official dress code is strict business casual, no sneakers, jeans, etc. I will also be attending clinical rotations where I will need to dress the same.

I suppose I could just alternate between wearing my brogue boots, chukkas, and chelseas with galoshes to class/clinicals during the winter? That way my footwear would still be business casual. Heavy boot socks would keep my feet warm without drowning in sweat during class. The leather would be semi protected by the galoshes. Any thoughts on that idea?
    You'll probably be dealing with the public (under supervision), as part of your training, hence the dress code. I was thinking the more purely academic grad school programs - hard science, math, stats, econ, lit, history etc. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how casually even the professors can get away with dressing on college campuses these days.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Quoted
    449 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark4 View Post
    You'll probably be dealing with the public (under supervision), as part of your training, hence the dress code. I was thinking the more purely academic grad school programs - hard science, math, stats, econ, lit, history etc. You'd be surprised (or maybe not) at how casually even the professors can get away with dressing on college campuses these days.
    I'm a Dr. and I do talks at a lot of the local universities in the area, some are Ivy League. What the vast majority of the professors wear is mind blowing. The word "dowdy" comes to mind.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    I think I may ask for some heattech stuff for Christmas based on your recommendations.

I also may get a down vest. I have a hooded lightweight down jacket, but that may be too much most of the time. I have used insulated vests when hunting and really like how easily they regulate temperature.

Wes, I like those Danners. Look nice and seem very functional. A bit pricey, but quality boots always are.

mark4,.exactly, I will be dealing with guest professors, other colleges, patients, etc.

Shade, my wife is a physician assistant and I have been to numerous continuing education conferences, I completely agree with your "dowdy" assessment, lol.

Thank you so much for the help guys. I have friends that have lived in cold climates but don't really trust their sartorial opinions. But, I DO trust my Dappered brethren

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    135 Post(s)
    This ship may have sailed, but I can't agree on the insistance on layering. I currently live in Minneapolis and lived on the east coast for about 8 years in college and law school, and if you layer then, sure, you're warm when outside, but then you get into a 75 degree room and have to remove 3 or 4 layers to get comfortable with nowhere to put them.

For all those of you who said layer, what do you do with all your layers when you get where you're going????

Get a real warm jacket, gloves, hat and scarf which you can stuff into pockets and sleeves, but anything more than a single other warm layer like a sweater I don't get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    aps2012, that is a very good point. Beyond the jacket, scarf, gloves...this is what I plan to wear to school most days:

-warm socks
    -thermal underwear
    -chinos or slacks
    -short sleeve undershirt
    -dress shirt or ocbd
    -mix in a light sweater or sport coat at times