Thread: CEO out at J Crew

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    93 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by whereismurder View Post
    The reason I dont shop there is:
    1. I hate having to play the wait-for-a-sale game.
    2. Lack of arm/neck sizing on shirts was a deal killer for me
    3. Constantly changing sizes and fits

Compared to J Crew I would rather pay a little more for Brooks Brothers to get a vastly superior garment, unparalleled customer service, and a better store atmosphere. I can go in and get the exact same shirt I got a number of years ago, and I know how an online order will fit. Made the switch a number of years ago and haven't looked back.

Everything else in my wardrobe is usually either Polo or BR. Polo offers both consistent basics, and really out there style flexes. BR is little more sophisticated at the same price point.

I am just not sure who the typical J Crew customer is anymore. Maybe 5 years ago if someone who was just getting into style asked me for a recommendation, I would point them to Crew, but with all the turnover I have no idea what I would be recommending.
    Just wait until Brooks Brothers changes their sizing to accommodate a younger audience...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    Just wait until Brooks Brothers changes their sizing to accommodate a younger audience...
    I wish they would take a clue from jcrew and knock it off with the clown pants. Multiple times I have went to BB for a suit, found a jacket that fit me very nicely, and then the matching pants look like something MC hammer would have worn in his heydey.

If a jacket is relatively slim fitting, the pants should be as well. From what I've seen in my admittedly limited experience, BB doesn't understand this.

Mentioned
    81 Post(s)
    Quoted
    573 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lax101 View Post
    they had already done that a bunch in preceding years. There is MILANO (which is the newst), and REGENT slim fit, which may have originated in 1980's, but hadn't hit its stride till recently. Introducing these made people complain LOL.

Madison is their 'classic fit', which has been unchanged, but has prices drooping for a while.

Their 'traditional' fit, which is anything but traditional is just a straight up balloon, and has been languishing in most configurations and sizes for a number of years now. I don't think they're really promoting it anymore.

Recently, the Regent fit is their best selling fit by a considerable stretch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Quoted
    266 Post(s)
    The brown herringbone blazer I just got is great though. Even better that it only cost about $150 with the sales this past week.