Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dads of little kids, your weekend go-tos?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Starbreaker View Post
    The key is just foresight when it comes to what the day has in store for you and plan/dress accordingly. My kids (9 and 6) are not purposefully messy (ie, they are not making mud pies or smearing food on tables or any of that crazy stuff), so I really don't have to plan for them as much as I need to plan for the ground conditions and whatever activity we are doing (soccer, hiking, etc.). The one smart move I made a few years ago was to make sure I have a pair of beater boots (some beaten up, but still cool looking beeswax Clark's busacres) and adidas Sambas so that I can feel good about my look while not worrying about messing up my nice shoes. I also have several different stretch Levi's 511s that I don't have to worry about since they were pretty inexpensive but still look good.
    Decent looking but cheap beater shoes are essential. Kids step all over your feet. Clarks definitely fit the bill.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    I have a 10 month old son, not too messy. When he was only a few months old he would spit up a lot, so you would have to take that into account (usually I'd throw on a fleece when at home). However, now, I find that he doesn't really do much that requires me to wear not-nice clothes. I really appreciate all these Dappered dads that make it a point to dress well when they have little children. Sometimes I actually feel like I have to up my game because my wife dressed up our kid in khakis and a sweater—it has actually made me dress nicer :-)

I love the tweed blazer and red tractor comment.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    60 Post(s)
    I have two sons, one almost 8 and the other 4.5. My style has definitely changed over time and depending on the season, but this fall it was basically:

Allen Edmonds Saukville boots (chocolate suede, bought 2nds for $88 from shoebank a couple years back). They're great because they're at home on a hiking trail, playground, history museum or just about anywhere else. The sole is nice and thick and soft, so walking on city streets isn't an issue either. The only time this fall I didn't wear them with the kids was when we were biking, then I just wore some sambas.

Levi 511 or 513, depending on how active we were going to be that day.

Henley of some sort, usually target/merona or banana republic.

Filson vintage flannel work shirt which is a nice thick cotton twill and looks good unbuttoned or buttoned.

Sometimes I'd throw on my Tottenham baseball cap (shout out to Joe, COYS) if I was feeling squirrely.