Thread: Matching Shirt/Trouser Formality

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    46 Post(s)

Matching Shirt/Trouser Formality

When I wear a blazer or sport coat and tie, I tend to be wearing either chinos and an OCBD *OR* wool trousers and a twill semi-spread collar dress shirt (i.e., no button-down collar). To me, it seems strange to mix a true dress shirt, like one I would wear with a suit, with chinos. For an upcoming event, I have a dress shirt I like that fits well and works with the blazer and tie I want to wear, but no appropriate trousers to go with.

Is wearing a blazer, semi-spread collar dress shirt, and tie with crisply ironed chinos or cotton dress pants a faux pas, or am I being too rigid about this?

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    922 Post(s)
    A crisp dress shirt and chinos looks off. I tend to think this about most cotton pants unless they have a crease. I also only have 1 pair of chinos and am on the fence with them so go for wool pants when a sport coat is needed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I’m always trying to solve this problem as well. The 2 materials are definitely off.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    66 Post(s)
    Quoted
    299 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    Is wearing a blazer, semi-spread collar dress shirt, and tie with crisply ironed chinos or cotton dress pants a faux pas, or am I being too rigid about this?
    There is always a possibility your dress shirt is too formal for your chinos. Even your blazer could be too formal for your chinos. Your taste might be developing. I used to wear my sport coat with jeans--not anymore. I don't even wear chinos with a sport coat because that would be too much stress in the morning LOL. Wool trousers work with or without a sport coat.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    302 Post(s)
    I think it depends on the total mix of fabrics, patterns, colors, etc. Have you tried the entire combination on together? Do you like the way it looks? If not, that's your answer.