Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: New Gap line, Hill City...curios

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo View Post
    Athleta is more than just athleisure. To me it's work out clothing. That what this new line looks like. A men's line of technical gear meant for working out and being active. There is a huge market for that as evident by the success of brands like Lululemon. This seems like the Gaps answer to Lululemon. Like I said before, Athleta is one of their only really profitable lines so it only makes sense that they would want to expand into a men's line.

I realize a lot of people will wear stuff from this line casually but a lot will also wear it for it's intended purpose. Not everyone wants to go on hikes or casual bike rides in jeans or chinos. Some people value well fitting work out gear in performance fabrics that actually serve a purpose. Is it really that big of a sin to throw on a decent pair of joggers after a workout to run a quick errand on your way home? I'm just saying, if your at all active, this stuff serves a purpose. You don't have to wear it or even like it. But you don't have to judge other people for showing interest in it.
    Athleisure just looks sloppy in public. Exception being worthy ladies in yoga pants.

Yes, it's great for the gym. And for pajamas. I am currently sitting in bed with coffee, wearing joggers and a real thin hoodie. Comfy as hell. However, I'm getting up soon to take my daughter to a school fundraising thing, and I will definitely not be wearing anything of this sort there.

Point on Athleisure - women seem to be the big offenders here. I don't really see too many men in public in this stuff. I know some women who wear literally nothing else.

I wish I'd bought lulemon stock years ago.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Another mega offender on Athleisure - little girls. I cannot get my 6 year old to wear anything else.

Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1983 Post(s)
    I own a lot of “athleisure” type clothes, which I wear at the gym. Shorts, sweatpants, active tees.

I also own one pair of Lululemon technical pants which are cut like jeans but made of synthetic material. I have no idea why I bought them and I think I’ve worn them once to walk my dog. A waste of my money TBH. They’re not cut out for the gym and it’s not like I’m going to wear them casually and certainly not at the office.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Athleisure just looks sloppy in public. Exception being worthy ladies in yoga pants.

Yes, it's great for the gym. And for pajamas. I am currently sitting in bed with coffee, wearing joggers and a real thin hoodie. Comfy as hell. However, I'm getting up soon to take my daughter to a school fundraising thing, and I will definitely not be wearing anything of this sort there.

Point on Athleisure - women seem to be the big offenders here. I don't really see too many men in public in this stuff. I know some women who wear literally nothing else.

I wish I'd bought lulemon stock years ago.
    I'm with you on Lulemon stock. My buddy wears a lot of it and we give him shit for it constantly, but it works for him most of the time. I guess there are different kinds of atheleisure. It can certainly be done sloppily as you say, but I would consider golf shorts and a dri shirt to be dressed up atheleisure. Sweating your entire ass off in jeans and a sport shirt is not a classy look. Horses for courses. You are right about women being big offenders on this front, but also right about it being a fair tradeoff LOL.

Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Quoted
    300 Post(s)
    As an ass man, bless the people that made wearing yoga pants/tights as regular pants everywhere a thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)
    Can't argue with that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    170 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Martigan View Post
    I'm with you on Lulemon stock. My buddy wears a lot of it and we give him shit for it constantly, but it works for him most of the time. I guess there are different kinds of atheleisure. It can certainly be done sloppily as you say, but I would consider golf shorts and a dri shirt to be dressed up atheleisure. Sweating your entire ass off in jeans and a sport shirt is not a classy look. Horses for courses. You are right about women being big offenders on this front, but also right about it being a fair tradeoff LOL.
    Golf clothes have their place. When I took my kid to Disney in the middle of the damn Florida summer, you can bet I was in a pair of golf shorts and a golf shirt every day. Can't argue with that for when the heat is nuts.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    64 Post(s)

New Gap line, Hill City...curios

Quote Originally Posted by Hebrew Barrister View Post
    Golf clothes have their place. When I took my kid to Disney in the middle of the damn Florida summer, you can bet I was in a pair of golf shorts and a golf shirt every day. Can't argue with that for when the heat is nuts.
    Exactly what I mean. So if I’m at a festival in July, chino type shorts and probably a dri fit v neck are where its at. Golf clothes aren’t really my style. Catch me with a white belt on and I might have to shoot myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I can't find the stationary. -- James Bond

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1016 Post(s)
    whoa...I hadnt checked on this thread since I made it. fun times, fun times. I am interested because I dont like hiking in gym clothes or regular clothes. Most hiking attire is either trying to hard to be Bear Grylls or is marketed towards 70 year olds for some reason. I just want something that functions for physical activity but isnt basketball shorts or a Patagonia pullover. And yeah, some days we go for a hike then go in the nearest town for dinner or go for a hike near asheville after window shopping and pub hopping. I like to look half decent without a pit stop in between.

Everyone has a different lifestyle. Something that makes no senses to yours might make perfect sense to someone else's. In the pocket knife thread someone mad e a comment that they are never more than a few steps from a pair of scissors so to them a pocket knife is pointless. I have left work and ended up hiking a creek bed that has no cell coverage the same day. We all live differently and we all have different expectations from what we buy. Thinking the gym, is the only place physical activity occurs is one way to live your life. There are many others.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddington View Post
    I'll be staying far away. Athleisure is just a nice way of saying "too lazy to dress like an adult." If you aren't on the way to the gym, in the gym, or on the way home from the gym, then put on some real clothes.
    Agree.