Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shoe Care for Nordstrom (non-CXL) 1k Mile Boots

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)

Shoe Care for Nordstrom (non-CXL) 1k Mile Boots

I picked up a pair of 1k mile boots from Nordstrom and the leather is different from the CXL version. See below for a Reddit article on in.

https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalef...t_239/d5uqc79/

I was concerned about the wear on the leather after wearing them 5 times and they stated that it was normal and is part of the way the leather wears adding character to the boot. They stated " The Adrian Cap-Toe boot was a Nordstrom exclusive that was made with a high end full grain leather upper.". I expressed concern over the coloring and mentioned I use Saphir products they said that i could use a brown but it would be "hard to match" (which doesnt make sense to me) and that i could use Kiwi polishes, oils, or conditioners.

Im kinda lost here. Does this look normal? None of my other dress shoes have done this but i def dont have any experience with 1k mile boots or other casual boots. If it is normal, how should i care for these going forward? I am used to using Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish on my dress shoes / boots so this is new to me.

imgur Photo Album:
    https://imgur.com/a/70xXqeC

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    94 Post(s)
    100% normal for the leather they used, and that's kind of the point. In fact, I rather like how that looks.

Clunkier lace ups like that are supposed to look worn in, imo. Those aren't dress boots.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    As long as the leather is still supple, that looks perfectly normal for that kind of leather.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Thank you! Very helpful.

How should I care for them long term?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    Thank you! Very helpful.

How should I care for them long term?
    Care for them by wearing them outdoors in God awful conditions and cleaning them maybe once or twice a year. They're basically well-made shit-kickers, worrying about how to care for them is the last thing to ever consider with boots like that. My Alden Indy boots get a basic cleaning before the start of Fall and again after Winter. They each have a scratch on the toe box from who knows what disaster I subjected them to and you know what? That's the point. Treat 'em like hell.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    I have the same pair. Mine looked like that at first, what I would call “thirsty”. I treated them with leather conditioner (Bicks) and clear wax (Lincoln). Leather is much smoother now. When they get scuffed, I brush them and they jump back to life. Purchased both care products off Amazon after some reading.
    Hope this helps.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    Bick 4 as mentioned, or Venetian shoe cream.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    85 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by .brian. View Post
    Bick 4 as mentioned, or Venetian shoe cream.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruggedcasual View Post
    I have the same pair. Mine looked like that at first, what I would call “thirsty”. I treated them with leather conditioner (Bicks) and clear wax (Lincoln). Leather is much smoother now. When they get scuffed, I brush them and they jump back to life. Purchased both care products off Amazon after some reading.
    Hope this helps.

Thank you guys!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    44 Post(s)
    It's funny, I am actually wearing mine today.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    919 Post(s)
    I think they look great. Patina really makes a work style boot IMO.