Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Advice needed from the bearded ones...

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,549
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)

    Advice needed from the bearded ones...

    I have been growing mine out for a month or so now. Its the longest I have gone so far. My plan is to mostly let it grow on its own for 3 months or so to see how it naturally takes shape then consider trimming. I am doing fine with it except my mustache area. Its bugging me on my lip. Do you guys just let it grow and then comb/shape it away from your mouth or do you trim around your lip?

  2. #2
    Super Moderator LesserBlackDog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    5,486
    Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    Figured I’d post to say I’ve been in the same boat and have no good advice. Usually when I grow a beard I keep it quite tight. Last winter/spring I tried to let it grow out a bit more and managing the mustache was a challenge. On the one hand, stray hairs hanging over your lip are pretty gross. On the other, you can’t really get a full mustache trained to stay in a particular shape (I was aiming for a handlebar) without letting it grow.

    I ended up getting grossed out and shaving the whole thing off after a couple months. I’ve gone back to a much tighter beard when I have one (3/8” in the goatee area and 1/4” elsewhere... mustache carefully pruned of stray hairs over the top lip).
    Ben

  3. #3
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Suppose you could wax it to the sides. To be honest I've always just taken a pair of scissors, smiled and trimmed any hair that hit the lip when I did that.

  4. #4
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,549
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbumman View Post
    Suppose you could wax it to the sides. To be honest I've always just taken a pair of scissors, smiled and trimmed any hair that hit the lip when I did that.
    thats what I was curios about. I dont need a handlebar or a big long beard. I just want a fullish beard. Think Hugh Jackman in Logan


    https://www.moma.org/d/assets/W1siZi...e7c3e5c601c99a

  5. #5
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,549
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Figured I’d post to say I’ve been in the same boat and have no good advice. Usually when I grow a beard I keep it quite tight. Last winter/spring I tried to let it grow out a bit more and managing the mustache was a challenge. On the one hand, stray hairs hanging over your lip are pretty gross. On the other, you can’t really get a full mustache trained to stay in a particular shape (I was aiming for a handlebar) without letting it grow.

    I ended up getting grossed out and shaving the whole thing off after a couple months. I’ve gone back to a much tighter beard when I have one (3/8” in the goatee area and 1/4” elsewhere... mustache carefully pruned of stray hairs over the top lip).
    thats pretty much what I had been doing. I just decided to let it grow more. My wife doesnt like the close beard because my whiskers are coarse. Trying to see if it gets more tolerable with some length and less blunt, trimmed ends.

  6. #6
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Oakland, CA
    Posts
    195
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by idvsego View Post
    thats what I was curios about. I dont need a handlebar or a big long beard. I just want a fullish beard. Think Hugh Jackman in Logan


    https://www.moma.org/d/assets/W1siZi...e7c3e5c601c99a
    Yeah, just take a pair of scissors and trim the lip, but don't use clippers on it. Should get you what you want.

    I think, TBH I've never gone down that road, and i'm far from a grooming expert.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    3,549
    Mentioned
    171 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1070 Post(s)
    so I am a few months in on this beard thing and actually went to a barber and got it lined up last week. I just told him I wanted it cleaned up. He did some good work and gave me a model to follow. Was very nice for a newbie. Will probably have it done periodically to keep my lines honest.

  8. #8
    Varsity Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Posts
    1,081
    Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    392 Post(s)
    For coarseness, I apply a dilute conditioner when bathing. I also put olive oil on my beard once a week or so. The only downside is I really want a salad afterwards.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •