Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Parka or Jacket?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Uniqlo Ultra Light Down Parka or Jacket?

I live in North Carolina where it doesn't get too cold, but cold enough in the mornings for sure. Saw the review on the parka, like it, looks good, but indifferent about that hood. What do you all think? Should I just get the jacket? Parka on sale right now, that hood might come in handy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    IMO what they call a parka is really a jacket with a hood. A true parka comes down past your hips to the thigh - they're generally long enough that they completely cover a sport coat. It's a matter of whether you want a hood or not - my guess is other than the hood the parka is the same a s the jacket. I live in the DC area and get some use out of my half decade old Lands' End down parka, but it's rather limited use as it's only cold enough to really need it a few weeks a year. But, I grew up in Michigan and have good friends in Boston so visit both places in the winter pretty regularly, and it really comes in handy that far north.
    ďClothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.Ē Ė Mark Twain

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    I'm not a hood guy so I wouldn't get the parka/jacket. Hoods always seem to get in the way for me. If it's cold out and my heads warmth, I'll put on a toque.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    I just ordered the parka for a goof. Been needing something like that.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    I had the one with the hood first, and loved it, but leaned into a candle in a bar, and it got pretty melted.

Picked up the one without the hood, and, there's nothing wrong with it, but if I had to do it again, would get the hood. It's surprisingly warm for such a light coat, and the ability to pack it down into a pouch for travel is great. I was surprised how much I liked them.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    I had the one with the hood first, and loved it, but leaned into a candle in a bar, and it got pretty melted.

Picked up the one without the hood, and, there's nothing wrong with it, but if I had to do it again, would get the hood. It's surprisingly warm for such a light coat, and the ability to pack it down into a pouch for travel is great. I was surprised how much I liked them.
    Thanks. Looking forward for mine to arrive. Did you size up? The reviewer is almost exactly my size. I would normally wear one size smaller.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Pepetito View Post
    Thanks. Looking forward for mine to arrive. Did you size up? The reviewer is almost exactly my size. I would normally wear one size smaller.
    That's a tough one, because Uniqlo seems to be all over the map. I have a couple of their Tweed sportcoats from a few years back that fit me well in XS, some lightweight cotton sportcoats in S (normally a 38s), and most everything else I own from them in Small or Small/Slim (I've put on some muscle in the last year, and the Small/Slim's are JUST at the point where I would consider sizing up in the chest only).

I went Small in the ultra light down and it fits well.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    That's a tough one, because Uniqlo seems to be all over the map. I have a couple of their Tweed sportcoats from a few years back that fit me well in XS, some lightweight cotton sportcoats in S (normally a 38s), and most everything else I own from them in Small or Small/Slim (I've put on some muscle in the last year, and the Small/Slim's are JUST at the point where I would consider sizing up in the chest only).

I went Small in the ultra light down and it fits well.
    We shall see. I am 5'7 150, usually a 38 short....would normally wear a small...and ordered medium.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Thinking about getting the jacket to wear at the hockey rink for my son's games. You guys think this jacket would be warm enough for something like this?

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1153 Post(s)
    All this talk about Uniqlo down jackets has me seriously thinking I need to consider picking one up for our Canadian winters.