Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is wearing a tuxedo for a wedding going extinct?

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Quoted
    108 Post(s)
    Now that you can google "black tie is for formal events after 5pm" combined with the fact that I havn't been to a dinner based wedding in years, evening wear isn't being used as often. The standard now is to time the event around lunch.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I wore morning dress for my wedding last year, but wouldn't have considered a tuxedo in the day time. I agree for most weddings suits seem to be the norm now, especially with the continuing casualization of society. But I think black tie evening weddings are still decently prevalent. I'm not sad that the daytime tuxedo thing is being killed off though :P

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    74 Post(s)
    Grooms in all of recent weddings I've attended wore 2-piece suit. But then, they are all on my fiancé's side, and they are mostly "rustic country" folks, and knowing how the grooms in those weddings dress outside their own wedding, them in 2-piece suit was a super fancy thing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    165 Post(s)
    Ironically, I think in many circumstances, it may be a result of people caring MORE about what they wear. As people have said, if you really care about fit and style, then getting everyone to rent tuxes is not the way to go.

Although I did just go to a full blacktie wedding and reception and people looked great.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Quoted
    100 Post(s)
    I don't know about others but I just wanted to splurge on a nice suit that I knew I'd wear hundreds of times rather than a tux which - outside of weddings - I've never actually worn, or had occasion to, at any other time in my life. Plus, my wedding started late afternoon in the summer so evening dress wouldn't have quite been appropriate as it was broad daylight and not officially evening yet. I didn't want the wedding to be that formal anyway. If I start regularly attending the Opera I might get a tux. I like the opera, but I've only been once a couple years back. Would love to go again. A suit was perfectly acceptable there, so I'm holding off on a tux purchase until we see whether I become a regular.
    “Clothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.” – Mark Twain

Mentioned
    200 Post(s)
    Quoted
    971 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wayne View Post
    I wore morning dress for my wedding last year, but wouldn't have considered a tuxedo in the day time. I agree for most weddings suits seem to be the norm now, especially with the continuing casualization of society. But I think black tie evening weddings are still decently prevalent. I'm not sad that the daytime tuxedo thing is being killed off though :P
    I'm not sure I've seen the trend moving toward day time weddings, but interesting if that's the case.

We're going 6p (6:15p real time) start, and most other weddings I've been to in the last while have been similar, other than one that was around 4p due to venue restricted timing. Over half of the weddings I've been to in past few years were also some sort of formal attire too, so maybe my friends just lean fancy/traditional in that respect. The other part definitely have been very casual (think vests/farm/hipster or even guayaberas for the groom/groomsmen).

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    I'm not sure I've seen the trend moving toward day time weddings, but interesting if that's the case.
    I don't think I've noticed more daytime weddings, I was just saying that I am in favor of no black tie during the daytime.

Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post
    so maybe my friends just lean fancy/traditional in that respect.
    Good group of friends to have!

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    233 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1105 Post(s)
    Most of the weddings I have been to in the past 6 years have been tuxedo weddings. Personally, I wore a tux my whole wedding day as there was no time to change and things started at pretty early and went into the wee hours.

Mentioned
    219 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1523 Post(s)
    For our wedding I went with a three piece suit. I was going to go with a regular grey suit, but the wife-to-be requested the three piece. So a light blue three piece suit it was.

I agree though. The whole tux for a wedding does not seem to be that common anymore. Kind of a shame, as I personally think a nice formal wedding is pretty cool. I mean it is the one day of your life when you can really do it up right.

I don't think I've ever attended a tux wedding now that I think about it. Just formal work events. Usually Christmas parties.