Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do I trust my wife . . . ?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)
    Your wife is a bit younger than you, takes care of herself and has knowledge of style for herself and you...yes, you should trust her judgement.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    323 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post

That question reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption.

Okay, the real question is: Should I trust my wife in regard to what she says looks good on me in terms of fit?

After having some medical issues starting about 4.5 years ago, the last two years or so, I've gotten back into better shape. I have lost about 20-25 pounds and most of the clothes I purchased before the beginning of this year are way too large, even to fix adequately with alterations.

BTW, I'm a bit over 6' 2" and weigh about 192 now. Also, I'm going to be 60 on my next birthday, but for whatever reason, people regularly guess my age as anywhere from eight to 15 years younger. My wife is in her mid-40's, but maintains herself very well. She dresses well and she went to fashion school for a couple of years before changing paths and heading to law school (but she's in the biz world, not law).

Anyways, when it comes to the way clothes fit, she always encourages me to buy clothing that is way slimmer cut than what I think probably looks appropriate for someone my age. She tells me it looks much better than the sizes I think I should be wearing.

Last night I was trying on jeans and she kept telling me how much better the slim (not skinny) cut jeans looked. I want to believe her and I don't like baggy clothes--but hell, I'm 60. (see below for a photo of the kind of fit she likes--actually those are a little looser than she likes, but that's as close as I have).

Sure, 15 years ago or so I would have been fine with wearing them the way she says looks good.

But I don't want to look like some old guy trying to look young.

I also don't want to look like I'm wearing "dad jeans".

So, do I trust my wife?

Pants look fine.
    The most important part I got from that post is that you are 60 and your wife is fifteen years younger. Nice work.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Quoted
    142 Post(s)
    Ditto everyone elseís comment. I would avoid going tighter even if your wife prefers it.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by neminat View Post
    Agree with everyone above. I think they look great. Make sure they arent too long. I see a little pooling of fabric at the shoes. Spend 10 bucks to have them hemmed up a bit.
    Another one of her preferences that I'm not totally on board with.

But the pooling isn't really caused by the length, it's caused by how tapered the legs are at the bottom--it's caused by the legs being so slim that they don't get over the top of the chukka boots--the pooling is minimal when worn with shoes.
    Last edited by mebejoseph; November 1st, 2018 at 02:04 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)
    Happy wife, happy life.

I really dig the outfit, especially the shoes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Probably redundant at this point, but I'll chip in as well and say this looks good to me. As a low-30s person, if I saw somebody in their 60s wearing this I wouldn't think it was off at all. Heck, I hope I'll be able to look like that when I'm 59.

(I don't mind the pooling, either - I've always felt pooling pants matters less when it's jeans.)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    57 Post(s)
    Totally get it - i lean towards more traditional fits too, I think it's mostly because I feel like i'm muffin-topping when i wear slimmer clothes but dude . . . nice pants.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    305 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Chalkey View Post
    Happy wife, happy life.

I really dig the outfit, especially the shoes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    Thanks. That was my photo and clothes for the typical dappered outfit thread--you can find it someplace if you look around. A bunch of us participated. Maybe you did?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    179 Post(s)
    As a mid 40s person, I hope I can maintain myself to look that fit and stay current with my style over the next five years.
    Donít call what your wearing an outfit. Donít ever say your car is broke.
    Donít sing with a fake British accent. Donít act like your familyís a joke.
    --Jason Isbell

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    We're all on this site because we care more than the average person about our clothes and how we look in them. But also realize that putting even a scintilla of effort into your look puts you in the top 1%, sartorially-speaking. Case in point: I work at a Fortune 125 company where I KNOW a lot of the men here make good money (and the women, but this is a site about men's clothes), and I can't tell you the number of bicycle-toe shoes I see on a daily basis. Would it kill you to buy a cap toe every now and again?

What's the point, Tex? It's this: you look great. But most importantly, your wife thinks you look great. And that's the audience you should care about the most. And ditto to what an earlier poster said: it takes some getting used to a new silhouette. After a while, you'll wonder why you ever wore those "baggier" trousers before. I hope I look at sharp as you when I hit 60. As for having a wife 15 years younger, I'll have to settle for four years younger!