Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Do I trust my wife . . . ?

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)

Do I trust my wife . . . ?

That question reminds me of the Shawshank Redemption.

Okay, the real question is: Should I trust my wife in regard to what she says looks good on me in terms of fit?

After having some medical issues starting about 4.5 years ago, the last two years or so, I've gotten back into better shape. I have lost about 20-25 pounds and most of the clothes I purchased before the beginning of this year are way too large, even to fix adequately with alterations.

BTW, I'm a bit over 6' 2" and weigh about 192 now. Also, I'm going to be 60 on my next birthday, but for whatever reason, people regularly guess my age as anywhere from eight to 15 years younger. My wife is in her mid-40's, but maintains herself very well. She dresses well and she went to fashion school for a couple of years before changing paths and heading to law school (but she's in the biz world, not law).

Anyways, when it comes to the way clothes fit, she always encourages me to buy clothing that is way slimmer cut than what I think probably looks appropriate for someone my age. She tells me it looks much better than the sizes I think I should be wearing.

Last night I was trying on jeans and she kept telling me how much better the slim (not skinny) cut jeans looked. I want to believe her and I don't like baggy clothes--but hell, I'm 60. (see below for a photo of the kind of fit she likes--actually those are a little looser than she likes, but that's as close as I have).

Sure, 15 years ago or so I would have been fine with wearing them the way she says looks good.

But I don't want to look like some old guy trying to look young.

I also don't want to look like I'm wearing "dad jeans".

So, do I trust my wife?

Last edited by mebejoseph; October 31st, 2018 at 08:04 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Quoted
    56 Post(s)
    Regardless of age, I don't see a problem with those pants. They look nice and certainly not 'trying to look young', at least to me.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    155 Post(s)
    It's ultimately what you're comfortable wearing but I think they look great. I'd trust your wife.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Those jeans look great. Neither baggy dad jeans nor hipster skinny jeans. The outfit as a whole looks like a confident guy who knows what looks good.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    I don't believe in the whole "age appropriate" thing when it comes to clothing, all sorts of styles and tailoring can look good on people of any age. However, it's also been my experience with girlfriends and such that their sense of what looks good on men is influenced by what is generally considered to look good on women, namely much, much slimmer cuts than most any man feels comfortable wearing.

In this case, the jeans you're wearing seem to fit you well and certainly don't give off an air of faux youthful affectation. There's always an adjustment period when you're trying new cuts and silhouettes so I'd say give the jeans a chance and see how you feel about them after a while. Ultimately, you're the only person who knows what you're comfortable wearing.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    106 Post(s)
    Trust her. Those are a perfect fit on you and match your build.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)
    Those jeans look great. Most men wear looser fitting clothes as they age out of mistaken belief it will disguise deteriorating physical fitness. It doesn't, if anything it emphasizes it, just like wearing baggy clothes does not hide extra weight when young.

I can agree graphics and certain styles (for example zipper- and chain-festooned leather jackets) look silly on mature adults. Fit and cut, however, should be a matter of what your physical condition supports rather than age. Or, as Helen Mirren's pink bikini demonstrated, if you've still got it, flaunt it.

Mentioned
    185 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1152 Post(s)
    That's a good fit. I'd say you're good to go.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    295 Post(s)
    Thank you all for the feedback, gentlemen. All very helpful.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    88 Post(s)
    Agree with everyone above. I think they look great. Make sure they arent too long. I see a little pooling of fabric at the shoes. Spend 10 bucks to have them hemmed up a bit.