Thread: Jcrew Mercantile Walker Jacket

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

Jcrew Mercantile Walker Jacket

Anyone own or have any experience with this jacket?
    https://www.jcrew.com/p/mens_categor...r-jacket/J6277

I had a nice fleece that was a solid in-between jacket (nice for a cool fall day) I could layer under and I'm trying to find something to replace it.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    The guy on the product page doesn’t appear particularly happy.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Honestly, I was trying to decide between the walker and the main line Sussex about 3 years ago.

When trying on both, the decision wasnít really close.

AT THAT TIME- the Sussex felt thicker, the lining was warmer, the exterior was a better blend.

The walker was thin, and the exterior felt and looked like shiny nylon.

My decision was to wait for Sussex to go 40% off and get it. I also put a saved eBay search for j crew Sussex and then picked up the vest as well. Be careful on eBay if you go that route though. MANY walker (read: factory) jackets and vests were listed as Sussex. I had to inspect pictures carefully to know what was actually listed.

Hope that helps a bit. I donít know about the current items. But it was worth the additional $40.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by caktaylor View Post
    The guy on the product page doesnít appear particularly happy.
    Well one out of two wasn't happy, the other person was the exact opposite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Thanks Jmeyer, how's has the Sussex been since then? Not a huge fan of the Loden green on the current version, but maybe I'll check it out in person.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    38 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gradstudent78 View Post
    Thanks Jmeyer, how's has the Sussex been since then? Not a huge fan of the Loden green on the current version, but maybe I'll check it out in person.
    Well. The Sussex I have is the old version. The pockets donít have that weird looking darker color stripe looking line.

Itís fantastic. Itís one of my go toís. I have it in NAVY. It has held up very well. Zero quality issues to speak of. Itís worn in nicely and fits very well.

Iíd definitely do an in person of each. Whether it is shipped or you can make it to a store. When I did it myself, it wasnít a question.

I also have TWO of the Bonobos Banff jackets. Which is a similar situation to what may be happening with Sussex now- I have the olive green of the original Banff. Itís fantastic. Nice and thick. Almost stiff material (in a good way).

The second Banff I have is black. I just got it a month ago. Itís much much more nylon than the old one. Itís warm though- thatís a key. But I was hopping it would have the same matte feel and look as the olive. Sadly it does not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    I ended up picking up the walker jacket in blue. I tried a couple of other similar jcrew jackets on in the store and I liked the styling on this one better, with a much better price.

Overall I'm pretty happy with it, warm down to ~40 degrees, room to layer. I will agree with the reviewer that said it's not cut slim and a bit boxy, but it fits my needs for an in-between fall jacket that I can layer under and I've gotten a number of compliments while wearing it. Picked it up for $82 on sale, I'd say that's about right.