Thread: Hats for the Overly Cranialized Gentleman

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Hats for the Overly Cranialized Gentleman

I have a big Charlie Brown head, and I'm assuming a few of you do also.

This may sound silly, but in all seriousness, where do you buy hats from? I just want a knit cap what won't leave marks on my head because it's too tight.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Good question. I do too, so I donít wear hats. I thought thatís the reason I didnít wear sunglasses- big heads donít wear sunglasses well. Eventually I found aviators work just fine. I suspect itís something like that with hats as well.

Best I could come up with would be a flat cap. My dad (big head) used to wear one when he worked outside. It worked on him and my uncle and cousins.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)
    Can't really help with knitted caps as they are generally one size fits all. Certain types of winter hats (Stormy Kromers for example) are available in hat sizes so if you know your hat size that might work. You could try stretching it out (if you haven't already) - place it over your bent knee as if that were your head, grab the open bottom edge, and pull hard to stretch out the width of the cap. I'd start with something pretty inexpensive but that's one nice thing about knitted caps - they can be had cheap.
    ďClothes make the man. Naked people have little or no influence on society.Ē Ė Mark Twain

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    437 Post(s)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Try searching beanies and toques, which are more commonly used terms in Canada. That design of hat is also more common in Canada, so the selection is often greater. Particularly, look at outdoor sports store such as Mountain Equipment Co-op; catering to function rather than fashion means fit is given greater priority in winter clothing.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    345 Post(s)
    I'm a 7-5/8. Friend knitted me a couple winter hats.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    One size fits all winter hats donít fit me either.

I had one knit for me to my size from Etsy and itís been great. I came online to order another one. But it looks like the shop I ordered from isnít open right now - knitcessity.