Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: buying pants longer and having them hemmed

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Maybe get them, WASH THEM 1-2x, then get them hemmed. Wear them hemmed a few times and decide if you need them taken in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    i've been hemming pants up to 26 inches all my dappered life, so the 1/4" probably isn't noticeable to me lol. so as long as it's the same measurements for the 32 vs the 30 i should be fine (ie the increase is still only to 1/4" if you go up 2" past that)
    So 6” up its closer to 3/8-1/2”. It probably will open up a bit more. 1/4” might be lost on you, but 3/8-1/2” would be slightly more noticeable. So wash them, hem them, then decide.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    111 Post(s)
    Quoted
    689 Post(s)
    oh, interesting, thanks. comparing a pair of bonobos i didn't notice any difference. ill get the BR in and see. too bad i actually had the 30x30 ordered and they cancelled the order...

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Galcobar View Post
    You've identified the crucial question: shape. If it's a straight leg, then you can hem it to just about any length. A taper can require more work, but a component tailor shouldn't have much trouble re-creating a reasonable angle (some guys will buy the right length, then have the calf tapered more).

Those particular pants look to be straight cut from the knee down, so a few inches off the bottom won't be an issue. You may notice some bunching around the knee, however, as four inches puts your knee in the wider thigh section. That's where your tailor may do some tapering, to move the transition point up to match your leg.
    If I find a killer deal, I’ll do this. I’ll find straight leg jeans/Chinos on the clearance rack. I’ll take them in the slim out the legs.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    113 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scofield View Post
    ah got it, so the "Transition point" from thigh to knee is placed further down on longer inseams? just compared a 30x32 and 30x30 and i honestly can't notice the difference, perhaps its negligible? i'm all for spending money to look better, but not to change a few millimeters
    The shape of the pants leg reflects body proportions; a longer leg has a greater distance knee-to-hip, as well as knee-to-ankle. It's probably not noticeable on a two-inch difference (on mass-produced goods especially). How much of a difference exists depends entirely upon the individual item, so we can't really give youa definitive answer. With the generous margins for error in mass-produced clothing, even someone who owns the same pair of pants can only give you a guideline.

The advice to wash is reasonable. If you want to know whether tapering is necessary in addition to hemming, a few measurements should be sufficient.