Thread: Filson Original Briefcase Colour and Patina

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Filson Original Briefcase Colour and Patina

Hi everyone,

Recently fell in love with the Filson Original Briefcase and am looking to purchase one but can't decide on the colour.

Originally, I was thinking of either navy or black - but am unsure as to how much these colours will fade and how good they will look over time. What will the patina look like? If anyone has any pictures of their bags, along with the age, that would be very helpful.

Based on my reading, I can see also that tan is well esteemed - especially based on it's patina. However (perhaps this is due to my unfashionable eyes), the patina on this bag makes it look kind of.. dirty? Maybe the pictures don't do it justice.

Would love your thoughts.

I work in a business casual environment (medicine), if that matters.

Thanks.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    63 Post(s)
    I recently acquired one in the tan color and have used it on average 3 times a week for almost two months. I mostly wear it either cross-body or just off the shoulder on the side. One thing is that it will definitely take on patina/discoloration/dirt(?) on the side that constantly rubs against your back/butt. I wear jeans most of the time and the back of the bag shows it. Patina is a very subjective matter. Some may think it better showcases the ruggedness aesthetic while others just think it's dirty. I just live with it, knowing when I bought it that this was going to happen.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I have the green - in my mind it's a happy medium, stands out more than navy or black but patina's better. It blends more obvious stains into the darker color.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbumman View Post
    I have the green - in my mind it's a happy medium, stands out more than navy or black but patina's better. It blends more obvious stains into the darker color.
    I too have the green. I have had it for about 3 years. It has gone through quite a bit and looks great. I even spilled an entire coffee in it. All of my student's papers were trashed, but the bag did not show anything from it.