Thread: Wedding accessories - boutonniere or pocket square?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    41 Post(s)

Wedding accessories - boutonniere or pocket square?

My wedding is in next February. I've been finalizing the outfit for the big day, and I'm wondering how I should accessorize myself.
    I will be wearing a French cuff shirt with a pair of cufflinks modeled after my dog that I received from my fiancé.

But outside of that, I'm not sure if I should go boutonniere for a bit of flair, or pocket square for a more subtle look.
    Or could I do both, or would that be too much and asymmetrical? I'm really not sure.

I would very much appreciate some feedback from others. Thanks!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Quoted
    91 Post(s)
    If both, then a small boutonniere through a functioning boutonniere hole. Modern wedding floral companies will do a large arrangement as big as your lapel if you let them and the whole thing has to be pinned to the outside

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1809 Post(s)
    I think you can do both, but if you do a small boutonniere (which is the only size of boutonniere you should be wearing) then I would stick to a very simple pocket square in a TV fold. White or some other solid color that makes sense in context with the outfit.

If you skip the boutonniere then you can get a little flamboyant in terms of color/pattern/fold of the pocket square. A wedding is a celebration, first and foremost, but there is also a certain solemnity and gravity to the fact that you are vowing to spend the rest of your life with this person. You want to wear something that makes you feel happy and special but unless it's really your "thing" I would think you'd want to avoid looking garish or over-the-top.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    What's the bridal bouquet like? If it's (say) white roses or orchids or irises, you could use one of those as a bout for some symmetry there.

Mentioned
    196 Post(s)
    Quoted
    920 Post(s)
    Color/size/fold/etc. will depend a lot of the type of wedding, location, and other colors/patterns/etc. to your outfit.

I plan to go with a very slim tv fold and a small bout for my wedding. I am wearing formal attire, but same concept applies for this piece of the fit, IMO.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)
    Quoted
    919 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hornsup84 View Post

I plan to go with a very slim tv fold and a small bout for my wedding.
    thats the route I went as well

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    A couple from Big Brother reality show just got married last weekend, and I really liked their choice of matching the bout and her flowers (dont know the type of flower it is, but they were different and I loved the colors), and he also wore a simple white pocket square and waist coat underneath. It was still traditional, where I think a bout really shines with french cuffs and links, but had a less trad flower.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    116 Post(s)
    Those are calla lilies.

Mentioned
    57 Post(s)
    Quoted
    440 Post(s)
    Good eye @Domino . I like them.