Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    So just some thoughts as someone that struggled with weight, finally has hit the right side of it and also someone that loves the fitness industry, coaching and the like, and has been checking on this thread to see how people evaluate their journey. I am working towards opening my own gym and focusing on coaching and training.

- Re-evaluate your goals. A lot of people talk about the amount of weight they want to lose, and it may not sound much but think percentage wise of how much of it you are. If you are 200 and want to get down to 180 ... that's 10%. That's not a small amount. That takes a lot of dedication and possibly years to do healthy, especially the fixing of bad habits. Weight doesn't equal fat and I know most know that but sometimes it gets lost.
    - Focus on the right evaluations. Almost every person here has mentioned weight. It's hard since it's an easy indicator but don't. Focus on inches, body fat, etc. I think most can benefit from not having scales at all. Get the right baseline but don't measure every day. My size has dropped down from size 36 jeans down to 30s (probably some attributed to vanity sizing) but also I "weigh" more today than I did when I was fat. My body fat has dropped considerably (18% to around 9%), I am healthier in almost every metric but "weight". You have to be ok with that. People hover in weight and fluctuate. if you don't worry about weighing in everyday or frequently you can do a better job assessing where you are.
    - Track macros and calories. Americans overeat. Our portion sizes are ridiculous and we are conditioned by many to finish or over eat. You need to keep tracking until you have a good mental idea to ensure you are getting enough of all major areas: protein, carbs, and fat. You need them all and eliminating completely one will lead to yo-yo impacts.
    - Understand being healthy can be sometimes selfish. You will have to turn down food or others invitations for food, you will have to prioritize fitness time, etc. That's not easy so having goals and having a team to support you is huge.
    - If muscle growth is your goal then quality over quantity. The amount you lift is not as important as the quality of every rep. Visualize the muscle expanding and contracting. If you're exercise isn't in alignment with the muscle fiber's it isn't a great exercise for max growth of that muscle.
    - Track everything ... unless you are one of those people that have been doing fitness for awhile, part of it is figuring out how you respond. I constantly record how many sets, reps, how I feel, what workouts worked but no longer etc. If you start at say 1,500 calories a day and notice your workouts are struggling, lifting is stagnant, etc. tweak it to see how you respond.

Know a healthy journey is not linear. Even the most dedicated have set backs and it took years for many of us to get our bodies into the shape they are now. I've been lifting consistently over a decade and feel just now do I really know what I need to do everyday to get to where I need to be.

If anyone wants any online coaching or support reach out. Not a service just know I had buddies take me under the wing at the gym etc. and it made a huge difference. Having a network helps.

Best of luck.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    20 Post(s)
    Had some shifts but am finally moving down.

Week 1: 187.8
    Week 2: 189.2
    Week 3: 186.2

Here is my plan for people who are interested:

(1) Work out 3 times per week at minimum (I'm on week 4 of an 8-week dumbbell workout plan and going to incorporate high intensity interval training cardio starting next week)

(2) Eat at a caloric deficit throughout (My TDEE was ~2600, so I'm eating at or below 2100 calories per day)

(3) Observe macros while eating (Goal is 35% protein, which for me is roughly .8-.9 g per pound, 40% carbs, 25% fat intake)

(4) Try to lose 1 pound per week and adjust accordingly.

EDIT: In the spirit of the above post, I thought I'd also share my goals. My goal is to get to 170-175 pounds, but I really want to lose visible fat in torso and upper leg region. I got to a point where even though I was still in a good weight range for my height/age (6'1" and 29 yo), I didn't feel good about my fitness, what I was eating, and how I looked. I've been tracking my food carefully and have been weightlifting regularly for a month now (after doing light exercise weekly prior), but I want to add cardio slowly into my workouts while continuing weight progression in my lifts. So, I want to lose fat, but I also want to get stronger. Once I'm a few months into this routine, then I'm going to get a 3D scan of my body for fat measurement. Then my goal will be to get to a specific fat % range.
    Last edited by Fantasma; November 8th, 2018 at 04:48 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)
    @hockeysc23 - I am curious since you seem pretty fit and would likely be one of those fit dudes who are in the over-weight or obese BMI categories because BMI sucks. Anyway, my question is, have you had a blood test lately and would mind sharing your results? I know this is the weight loss club and my questions/answers revolve more around heart health than anything but I have not been able to find what ones lipid panel looks like when fit with high protein and such.

I haven't weighed myself in a week or two but have started eating more salads instead of crap. I think I am at maybe 3-4 salads a week. I get this "Power Greens" mix from Kroger, throw in some peppers, tomato, avocado, maybe protein if I am not having that in addition to my salad, and my dressing is lemon juice and olive oil with cracked pepper. It is truly a Big Ass Salad as it takes up a mixing bowl. Having one of these has made me feel better lately.

Oh and workouts have sucked due to month end. Runs have been short but have tried throwing in an extra kettle bell day. I am thinking of buying a heavier one though I am also telling myself to do more reps with my current one.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Quoted
    356 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    @hockeysc23 - I am curious since you seem pretty fit and would likely be one of those fit dudes who are in the over-weight or obese BMI categories because BMI sucks. Anyway, my question is, have you had a blood test lately and would mind sharing your results? I know this is the weight loss club and my questions/answers revolve more around heart health than anything but I have not been able to find what ones lipid panel looks like when fit with high protein and such.

I haven't weighed myself in a week or two but have started eating more salads instead of crap. I think I am at maybe 3-4 salads a week. I get this "Power Greens" mix from Kroger, throw in some peppers, tomato, avocado, maybe protein if I am not having that in addition to my salad, and my dressing is lemon juice and olive oil with cracked pepper. It is truly a Big Ass Salad as it takes up a mixing bowl. Having one of these has made me feel better lately.

Oh and workouts have sucked due to month end. Runs have been short but have tried throwing in an extra kettle bell day. I am thinking of buying a heavier one though I am also telling myself to do more reps with my current one.
    I'm actually trying to get my yearly physical done next week or so, so happy to share afterwards. My last one was pretty good despite the family genetics. My Dad had a triple by-pass 3+ years ago, my uncle had a quadruple after a heart attack. Heart health doesn't run very well in the family but besides borderline anemia (I donate blood on the regular) we are usually pretty good. I'd be happy to post once back if its of any help to people.

For the BMI scale, it's a POS. I am 5'11 and range from 172 to 185 but still around the same body fat percentage since I got serious about my lifting. So that would put me at an overweight BMI. I focus primarily on lifting with hockey being my cardio. I hate cardio :P I usually lift 6-7 days a week, with hockey once or twice a week. My workouts are about an hour to an hour and 30mins at a high pace (usually) to keep my heart rate going.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeysc23 View Post
    If anyone wants any online coaching or support reach out. Not a service just know I had buddies take me under the wing at the gym etc. and it made a huge difference. Having a network helps.

Best of luck.
    This ^^ This is why I created the thread. To have a network to help each of us achieve our goals. Well said.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)
    Here is a snapshot of my numbers from the past 2 years (just the heart related ones, if you want the rest let me know). Joe

10/20/2018 10/27/2017
    Height 5.7 5.7
    Weight 140 159
    Blood Pressure 122/78 132/79
    Pulse 50 50 bpm
    Platelet Count 192 218
    Cholesterol 188 207
    HDL 82 69
    Triglycerides 32 50
    LDL 100 128
    Heart Disease Risk 2.3 3

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    Monday weigh in - 220, i think that's down a pound or two since last week.

No chance to hit the gym but since i set my calorie counter to sedentary, it worked out well. Getting on a plane again tonight, hopefully my time honored tradition of pacing the airport helps.

Loving all the posts here, let's keep it up gents,

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Start weight (11/3): 164.6

Monday morning weigh in (11/12): 162.6

Eating better/smaller portions, little to no snacking, but no calorie counting just yet. Lifting 4 days a week with minimal rest between sets to keep heart rate elevated, no dedicated cardio yet. Getting back into the groove, so will be upping the lifting and adding in cardio soon.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    On the road so no access to a scale. Plus travel means (for me at least) crappy food, lots of beer, and late nights. I do plan on getting in to the hotel gym though. We'll see how that goes.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Quoted
    97 Post(s)
    I am both late and early to this thread. I am just now posting, but I've been working on losing weight since January.

Stats:
    Height: 5'10.5
    Starting weight: 197.5
    Current weight:. 168.5
    Goal: 165

I've been lifting a lot as my weight loss all along. Trying to change body composition is more important to me than weight loss. (although I lack any equipment - other than my mirrior - to measure body fat)

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk