Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I have lost 12 pounds since June - I started during the summer, cooking my own meals using Sunbasket (everything is pretty much a meat + a salad...very few carbs to be found) and doing the bodyweight fitness workout I found on http://www.reddit.com/r/bodyweightfitness

I like the BWF workout a lot - it scales to your ability level, but also you're also constantly working towards the "next level" in 6 exercise categories, so there's always something new. It's been a little tough to keep the workout going (it takes about 80 minutes!), but if I miss it, I try to replace it with a shorter cardio workout.

But, like others have said, I think the biggest contributor to success has been managing my diet. I am eating smaller (more sensible) portions this year, and replacing my vices (iiccee ccreeaam) with other healthy alternatives that I find just as delicious (peanuts and raisins (believe it or not) and apples and oranges).

It has led to a very Dappered problem: I need to buy new clothes! I spent a few hours in the thrift store yesterday finding new belts and blazers. On the hunt for new dress pants. But, that's a good problem to have.

Looking forward to hearing from others.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    222 Today - Only managed to hit the gym once and there was a business trip in between, but i made sure to pace the airport whenever i had a chance and my second job always keeps me on my feet (work in a winery).

Food was healthier too. Let's see if we can do 3 trips to the gym this week and two afternoon walks of 6-8 miles or more (running won't work on my tendons).

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by joekloo View Post
    Has anyone looked into additional health screening? My last trip to the Dr. was less than impressive, basically he said good job on the improvements and when I asked what I should do next he said I was doing a good job and continue to drink more water (not very helpful). I am looking to get more detailed on my nutrient levels, looking into https://www.wellnessfx.com/ but not sure if the is the way to go. Thoughts / experiences? Thanks, Joe
    I would get your standard blood test at least once a year. Make sure it is a decent lab doing to work and if you can spring for a more advanced panel, I think it is worth it. I use a free panel through my works wellness program in addition to my standard when I get a physical so I get checked out every 6 months or so.

I would make sure the test includes lipids (Tryglycerides, LDL-P, Small LDL-P, Lp(a)), liver function tests ALT & AST, blood glucose, C-reactive protein, and hormones are good. If you have a family history of heart disease then at your age a Calcium Score would be helpful too.

Some primary care doctors are not up to date on the latest data so it may be worth getting a cardiologist. Doctors should continue to learn and the above panel is almost table stakes for any doctor to cover...if not then find a new one.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    177.4lbs today Would like to drop another 10lbs but that is easier said than done.

Also, I weighed myself this morning after a workout. So that number is likely a little bit skewed. But I'll take it.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    177.4lbs today Would like to drop another 10lbs but that is easier said than done.

Also, I weighed myself this morning after a workout. So that number is likely a little bit skewed. But I'll take it.
    Best to be consistent as to when you weigh yourself. I usually weigh myself in the morning after I go #2 and before any breakfast (if any)/water etc. to be consistent. My weight will fluctuate +/- 4 pounds or so throughout the day depending on food/fluid intake.

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1803 Post(s)
    Yep, I always weigh first thing in the morning after using the bathroom and before eating/drinking anything.
    Ben

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I've been bad about keeping up with weighing myself lately. I usually like to do it first thing in the morning when I wake up. But I've mainly been using the guest bedroom and bathroom in the morning as not to wake up my fiancé with the lights and noises, we're on a different work schedule presently.

I've been going to the gym consistently up until a week ago. I was in there pretty much daily for a bit. Instead I started doing Insanity again. In the past I was able to cut weight pretty quickly with it and I just needed a change.

Tomorrow the plan is to get up, weigh myself, and do my civic duty.

Well the scale doesn't lie I suppose. 5'10 and 184.
    Last edited by fencedwall; November 6th, 2018 at 09:09 AM.

Mentioned
    394 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1803 Post(s)
    Still stagnating over here.

Week 1: 154.4
    Week 2: 155.4
    Week 3: 155.2
    Ben

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    So I've decided to join you guys! I've gained some weight since I stopped playing soccer and need to put an end to it! I'm 6 feet tall and 260 lbs as of today (I carry it well). I'm aiming for 215lbs...

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    So I think it is great that we are all on the same page with our goals. To lose weight and do it in a healthy way.

Next. How are we going to do this? Should we post what are plans are and then encourage each other to stay on those plans?

ie. workout three times a week, keep calorie intake below X, etc.?

This ^^ is my thinking. That way it will keep us all honest. Sound good?