Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)

Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

So it's been a pretty good summer for me. Lots of beer. Lots of BBQ/hamburgers. And lots more beer.

Despite being fairly active this summer I would like to drop 10 to 15 pounds. With winter on the way, I know my level of activity will drop as well, so I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here is interested in joining me on a little weight loss. Kind of like the 'year of no spending' on the main forum. We can post weekly weigh in results and generally support each other. Or as the case may be, mock each other when one of us decides to demolish an entire bag of Halloween candy. I do this. No joke.

Anyone interested? We can start Monday the 22nd, and I only pick that date because that's the first time I'll be home to weigh in on my home scale. Cheers.
    Last edited by DocDave; October 17th, 2018 at 12:15 PM.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Quoted
    223 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    So it's been a pretty good summer for me. Lots of beer. Lots of BBQ/hamburgers. And lots more beer.

Despite being fairly active this summer I would like to drop 10 to 15 pounds. With winter on the way, I know my level of activity will drop as well, so I'm wondering if anyone on the forums here is interested in joining me on a little weigh loss. Kind of like the 'year of no spending' on the main forum. We can post weekly weigh in results and generally support each other. Or as the case may be, mock each other when one of us decides to demolish an entire bag of Halloween candy. I do this. No joke.

Anyone interested? We can start Monday the 22nd, and I only pick that date because that's the first time I'll be home to weigh in on my home scale. Cheers.
    I'm game. Although I've been working out about as much as I usually have been, I really went the opposite direction as far as diet/portion control goes. And though it does help with making my gains faster, my body type/metabolism is such that I can muscle up fairly easily, but my body really hates burning excess fat.

I'm currently sitting at around 163 lbs at 5'6", I'd love to get back down to below 150... At the same time I'm still trying to reach my goal of getting the 3 big lifts as close to 1000 lbs total as possible (currently 385 deadlift, 265 squat, 235 bench) so I won't be able to cut as quickly as I had last year, but I could definitely start watching what I eat again.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I would be game.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    54 Post(s)
    I'm in. I'm 6'2" and vacillate between 220-230, would like to be a decent 210.
    Last edited by Bobbumman; October 17th, 2018 at 02:37 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    32 Post(s)
    I am in.
    I recently got engaged and want to get my body in order for the wedding and for myself. This past year has been a weird one for me with exercise and weight. Last October I broke my toe playing soccer and had to have surgery to fix it. While on the mend I ate my feelings. Once I could start running I jumped back into the gym and have been going pretty steady 3-5 times per week and playing soccer once a week. I have put on some muscle, but still have a good amount of fat around my midsection and chest I would like to get off. I know I need to change my eating/drinking but haven't been able to consistently do it.
    I'm 5'10 and 181, would like to get down to 170.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    13 Post(s)
    If you guys are serious about this I can't recommend crossfit/HIIT classes enough. I went from 220 to 200 and from a size 36 waist to a 34 without changing my eating habits.

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Quoted
    272 Post(s)
    Over the last few years I've slowly dropped about 20-25 pounds, after having some serious health problems that restricted my activity (heart attack in 2014 and back surgery in early 2016). I'm torn between staying where I am right now and losing another 10, because I've revamped my wardrobe. Jeez, I have eight monogrammed dress shirts that are too big now and are in nearly new condition. I've replaced them all with smaller sizes--plus more shirts--probably around 20 now. I'm concerned that if I lose another ten pounds most of those shirts won't fit. Not to mention the five or six new suits I've picked up in the last ten months.

So, I'm thinking about it.

But what I really wanted to share is: I've had to deal with weight issues since I was a borderline morbidly obese kid (e.g., when I was 12, I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now, and I was eight inches shorter).

I've managed to keep my weight mostly under control since I was in my early 30's and in the last few years the best tool I've found is the Lose It app for my smart phone. Second best has been the Runkeeper app. You can use it for any type of exercise, not just running.

The reason Lose It has become such a good tool is that as I've aged (59 now), I've found I can't exercise as hard or as much as I could 20 years ago. If I overate back then, I could just run an extra five or ten miles. Not so much anymore. That means diet has become much more important.

Okay, I think I'm talking myself into this. We are probably going on a trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and last time we were there, I put on seven pounds in four days.

I'm 195 this morning (a tad over 6'2"). Goal is 185. It's been 10 years since I've been 185. Jeez, there goes another $1,000 on new shirts. At least my year end bonus is coming up.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    201 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mebejoseph View Post
    Over the last few years I've slowly dropped about 20-25 pounds, after having some serious health problems that restricted my activity (heart attack in 2014 and back surgery in early 2016). I'm torn between staying where I am right now and losing another 10, because I've revamped my wardrobe. Jeez, I have eight monogrammed dress shirts that are too big now and are in nearly new condition. I've replaced them all with smaller sizes--plus more shirts--probably around 20 now. I'm concerned that if I lose another ten pounds most of those shirts won't fit. Not to mention the five or six new suits I've picked up in the last ten months.

So, I'm thinking about it.

But what I really wanted to share is: I've had to deal with weight issues since I was a borderline morbidly obese kid (e.g., when I was 12, I weighed 20 pounds more than I do now, and I was eight inches shorter).

I've managed to keep my weight mostly under control since I was in my early 30's and in the last few years the best tool I've found is the Lose It app for my smart phone. Second best has been the Runkeeper app. You can use it for any type of exercise, not just running.

The reason Lose It has become such a good tool is that as I've aged (59 now), I've found I can't exercise as hard or as much as I could 20 years ago. If I overate back then, I could just run an extra five or ten miles. Not so much anymore. That means diet has become much more important.

Okay, I think I'm talking myself into this. We are probably going on a trip to New Orleans in a few weeks and last time we were there, I put on seven pounds in four days.

I'm 195 this morning (a tad over 6'2"). Goal is 185. It's been 10 years since I've been 185. Jeez, there goes another $1,000 on new shirts. At least my year end bonus is coming up.
    Buy a sewing machine, you can alter them yourself and it's a bit soothing, not that hard at all, might not be the best stitch but hey, it was cheap to do and you can get more practice if the threads undo.

Also 6'2 195 is very very slim, I'm 6' 195 and feel scrawny, but I was formerly a gym rat so I might be off my rocker, but as my grandma would say...you need to eat!

I would look at doing a body recomp and also see your Dr about TRT to help achive your goals, maybe stay same weight and just add more muscle and cut out some fat(if you even have any).
    Sure you can't work out as hard but you can eat low carb/fasting training to help get to your goals
    Look at occlusion weight training, many options for you still

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    217 Post(s)
    Quoted
    901 Post(s)
    I've been more into Health Span > Life Span recently and it makes a lot of sense so I am all for people joining together to lose weight. I am in the maintaining phase as I am happy where I am at. 6'1" and ~185lbs. I have had 4 family members die in the past 24 months and all 4 had heart related problems. I have taken a deep dive into heart health, and other diseases, and the best thing you can do for yourself is to 1. exercise regularly and 2. control your eating. Other than that you can live a pretty healthy life.

I'd much rather live healthy to 75 and be hit by a bus than 95 with 30 years of health problems. I want value out of my years, not just time.

Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1109 Post(s)
    Great! Loving to see all the support for this. Looking forward to seeing all the positive results.