Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by shad0w4life View Post
    Buy a sewing machine, you can alter them yourself and it's a bit soothing, not that hard at all, might not be the best stitch but hey, it was cheap to do and you can get more practice if the threads undo.

Also 6'2 195 is very very slim, I'm 6' 195 and feel scrawny, but I was formerly a gym rat so I might be off my rocker, but as my grandma would say...you need to eat!

I would look at doing a body recomp and also see your Dr about TRT to help achive your goals, maybe stay same weight and just add more muscle and cut out some fat(if you even have any).
    Sure you can't work out as hard but you can eat low carb/fasting training to help get to your goals
    Look at occlusion weight training, many options for you still
    When I was a gym rat and lifted a lot, I could be about 205 and was fine. But I can't lift like that anymore after two back surgeries.

Even at 195, I carry a lot of weight around my middle. Online BMI calculators suggest a BMI of 25, which is still overweight.

I've noticed that other people my height carry weight differently--I don't know--I think it's a result of my childhood obesity and the visceral fat I carry--which is probably why I had a heart attack even though I have been a regular exerciser for over 25 years.

Oh--on the sewing machine-- The real problem when I lose weight is the neck--I wear ties almost everyday and the neck gets so loose that I look like a kid wearing his father's shirts. I don't think that can be fixed.

Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Quoted
    531 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JBarwick View Post
    I've been more into Health Span > Life Span recently and it makes a lot of sense so I am all for people joining together to lose weight. I am in the maintaining phase as I am happy where I am at. 6'1" and ~185lbs. I have had 4 family members die in the past 24 months and all 4 had heart related problems. I have taken a deep dive into heart health, and other diseases, and the best thing you can do for yourself is to 1. exercise regularly and 2. control your eating. Other than that you can live a pretty healthy life.

I'd much rather live healthy to 75 and be hit by a bus than 95 with 30 years of health problems. I want value out of my years, not just time.
    Amen and aho!

I will share that regular cardio exercise saved my life. I had a heart attack when I was 55--I had one artery 100% blocked (still is--they tried to fix it, poked a hole in it, and almost killed me) and another 90% blocked (fixed with stents). What I learned from the doctors (in my layman paraphrase) is that when you do cardio and get your heart rate up, and your arteries are closing slowly over time, your heart forces more blood through your capillaries, and they start to enlarge and form a kind of natural bypass.

So, yes--I encourage everyone to exercise. But probably see a doctor first if you've been inactive for years.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Count me in. Been trying to shed the 20 lbs I put on balancing working full-time and doing evening classes for grad school. The kicker is that I finished 4 years ago. No reason to still be carrying all of that weight around, and shared accountability might force me to follow through.

Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Quoted
    364 Post(s)
    Good thing we're not starting until Monday, right? Been hitting up the buffets and bars in Vegas. Nothing beats buffet then cocktails all before 1030 am.

They say nothing tastes as good as skinny feels, but I doubt they had plates full of bone marrow and Dungeness crab.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I've eaten 2.75 donuts today.

So far.

[Edit] 3.25.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; October 19th, 2018 at 05:56 PM.
    Ben

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    31 Post(s)
    I'm in also, I lost roughly 25lbs between February and July but have put 10 on with vacations and some drinking related events. I'm 6'0 and will probably weight around 210 tomorrow morning when I do a baseline. Would love to hit 190.

Anyone have or need ideas for eating healthy? My girlfriend and I meal prep on Sunday's which helps, lots of chicken breast, veggies steamed or sautéed (broccoli, asparagus, spinach, cauliflower rice in several forms), and egg whites for breakfast in an omelet with some tomatoes. Apple cider vinegar shot in the morning too. Just some ideas to start it for anyone who hasn't tried to drastically change their eating habits before.

Mentioned
    426 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2061 Post(s)
    I’m not overweight (5’9” and currently 155 lbs) but I need to cut about 10-15 lbs to show my abs. I was shredded enough to show abs about this time last year, did some intentional bulking in the meantime, and am now trying to slim down again.

I’ve found good success with having a simple protein smoothie for breakfast, a light dinner of chicken or fish and sautéed greens/veggies or a small veggie pizza, and basically whatever I want in between. Usually overnight oats supplemented with snacks of varying degrees of nutritional quality (fruits and nuts? Check. Donuts and cake? Also check).

I work out at least 3-4 times per week (yes - the fitness program that always speaks its name) and am trying to work some two-a-days into my schedule, though that’s a challenge when I’ve also got rehearsal and other obligations outside of work.
    Last edited by LesserBlackDog; October 21st, 2018 at 11:23 PM.
    Ben

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1054 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurps View Post
    I'm in also, I lost roughly 25lbs between February and July but have put 10 on with vacations and some drinking related events. I'm 6'0 and will probably weight around 210 tomorrow morning when I do a baseline. Would love to hit 190.

Anyone have or need ideas for eating healthy? My girlfriend and I meal prep on Sunday's which helps, lots of chicken breast, veggies steamed or sautéed (broccoli, asparagus, spinach, cauliflower rice in several forms), and egg whites for breakfast in an omelet with some tomatoes. Apple cider vinegar shot in the morning too. Just some ideas to start it for anyone who hasn't tried to drastically change their eating habits before.
    The devil is in the details. From what is presented, you should be good in terms of diet for breakfast and lunch but dinner and snacking are likely getting you. A lot of people say "I had a salad for dinner" and while it may sound healthy, dressing carries a lot of calories...it addition, most sauces carry a lot of calories.

I am 33, 6'1", 185lbs and maintain myself on the following: 2 bowls of cereal, 1-2 apples, 1.5oz macadamia nuts (I could eat all of my calories in these), 1 clif bar, and whatever is for dinner. I usually run 30-35 miles per week as well. I could cut more but I love to snack and my goal is more heart health than anything. Heart Disease takes a while to develop and people suck at long term thinking but it is worth it.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    51 Post(s)
    In on this starting today. Currently 6’1” and 245lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)
    Baseline Monday - 201.5 lbs.

Was expecting much worse, as I didn't exactly manage my food intake over the weekend. Shooting for 185 lbs or so, haven't been below 200 in 2 years.