Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    Good advice all around. Weight is a good data point--and likely the most objective--but certainly only one piece of the puzzle. I always do it pre-workout and don't have water or anything between the time I get up and when I step on the scale. Came in at 176 this morning, so down another 2.5 overall and approaching what used to be my "normal" weight.

In non-weight metrics, I am about to go another notch tighter on my belt and some slim fit shirts that were questionable before look much better now. I definitely do have more defined pecs (despite my pitiful bench). Lower-belly fat remains. Hoping another 10 lbs or so will do the trick. So definitely relying on those indicators too.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by elpenguinoloco View Post
    Good advice all around. Weight is a good data point--and likely the most objective--but certainly only one piece of the puzzle. I always do it pre-workout and don't have water or anything between the time I get up and when I step on the scale. Came in at 176 this morning, so down another 2.5 overall and approaching what used to be my "normal" weight.

In non-weight metrics, I am about to go another notch tighter on my belt and some slim fit shirts that were questionable before look much better now. I definitely do have more defined pecs (despite my pitiful bench). Lower-belly fat remains. Hoping another 10 lbs or so will do the trick. So definitely relying on those indicators too.
    Sounds like you're progressing. Well done!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    Taking photos is a good idea and this is something I do not do. I am though monitoring my progress every morning as I look in the mirror and I certainly have seen changes.

I've been going to the gym 3x a week regularly since November. That, combined with laying off booze and sweets (more or less) has meant a) my pants/clothes don't fit me anymore b) I have a very slight upper body V formed and c) I just feel better about myself. I know I look better too, even if I dont' have the photo evidence to back me up.

I check my weight here and there. Probably three times a week, usually after I come home from the gym but before breakie/shower. I don't obsess over my weight, but do find it a good guide for how my eating and overall health is going.
    That right there is important. And certainly looking better is a great motivator. Great job!

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Quoted
    79 Post(s)
    Another week and another pound. Down to 169.6

A bit of a let down but I had a rough week with a bad cold. Also a visit from my daughter which always seems to translate into dining out or take out. Bah, I'm making excuses.

Still, it is in the right direction. I'm going to try to make up for some of it today with a 6-7 miles hike.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    225 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1011 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron View Post
    Another week and another pound. Down to 169.6

A bit of a let down but I had a rough week with a bad cold. Also a visit from my daughter which always seems to translate into dining out or take out. Bah, I'm making excuses.

Still, it is in the right direction. I'm going to try to make up for some of it today with a 6-7 miles hike.
    Company always wants to eat out.

I was up this week but I know the reason...should be back down next week. Sometimes the body just keeps things in for some reason...

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1343 Post(s)
    This week has been bad. I'm on the road travelling which always means a) less working out and b) way WAY more crap food entering my system. This is not good.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    59 Post(s)
    I'm going to write off last week too--didn't even weigh in. We've had company and several work celebrations. Dessert, and especially alcohol, add up QUICK. I can be good all day, and a couple glasses of wine will wipe it all out.

Gonna try to get back at it hard this week before heading out of town for the weekend. I will hold myself accountable and post my progress here on Friday. Picking out some good meals to cook, and had a good workout this morning.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1343 Post(s)
    179.8 today. I'll take that considering I have been eating rather poorly of late.

Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Quoted
    462 Post(s)
    I've been holding steady around 194 for the last month or so. I'd rather be 183-186, but that's always been a tough weight for me to sustain.

The main reason I'm posting is because I started seeing a personal trainer a few weeks ago. I'm pushing 60 and I've lost a lot of muscle mass over the last five years after dealing with three major health issues (back surgery and heart problems). I've keep up cardio shape my whole adult hood, even with the heart issues, but not with weight training over those years.

Okay--so, I stumbled on to a personal trainer I didn't know I needed. Just got lucky. Instead of focusing on having me throw weights around like I did in my younger days, he identified a number of imbalances in my muscle structure and has me working on exercises to correct those issues while adding strength. He spends tons of time warming up my muscles with massage and stretches, and then has me do maybe just a half a dozen exercises. But the exercises seem to work every muscle in my body without straining anything.

My back is feeling some slight improvements these last couple of weeks.
    Intentionally overdressed for almost every occasion.

Mentioned
    205 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1343 Post(s)
    Good job on the personal trainer @mebejoseph.

I'm holding steady at 179.8 lbs. As summer kicks in to gear here and I start to ride my bike more, I hope that weight drops off a bit more.