Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New bourbon thread

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)

New bourbon thread

Okay, we had one before, and now that there's a new post about it, let's discuss it again.

In late September 2001, a handful of Green Berets (and some CIA fellas) were dropped off in Northern Afghanistan to start taking the fight to the Taliban. They got around on horseback regularly, becoming known as the Horse Soldiers. Some of them make some absolutely magnificent bourbon now.

20200207_124414 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

When in Texas last month for my reenlistment, we dropped by Apis in Spicewood for a little celebratory dinner (birthday was that same weekend). I had a fairly stressful work-related phone call (a guy in my unit was catching a hard time regarding his Government Travel Card and I was trying to help him get it fixed) just before heading in, wife ordered a drink for me, and then I saw this sitting on the shelf. One pour (the first one, as you can see by the level in the bottle) was almost as much as a bottle of Blanton's is priced at retail. And it was worth. every. penny.

2020-01-18_07-02-49 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

Speaking of Blanton's this bottle is almost half gone. And that makes me sad. I've no idea where or if I'll find another bottle (bonus points if you can name the boots).

20190523_162342 by Professor Horseyhead, on Flickr

In addition to the Blanton's and Horse Soldier, the shelf also currently holds Maker's, Yellowstone, Woodford Double Oaked, 1792, 1876, Six and Twenty, and of course a couple bottles of Buffalo Trace.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    49 Post(s)
    That's a really nice collection. I'd love to try the Horse Soldier. I've tried ordering or procuring a bottle of pappy's on a few occasions but it always falls through. Glad to hear it was worth the price. It's so expensive, sometimes I wonder if its just hype.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Quoted
    582 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bassoonguy View Post
    That's a really nice collection. I'd love to try the Horse Soldier. I've tried ordering or procuring a bottle of pappy's on a few occasions but it always falls through. Glad to hear it was worth the price. It's so expensive, sometimes I wonder if its just hype.
    Oh it's not hype at all. I wouldn't pay what the scalpers online try to get for a bottle after distribution of that year's bottles happens, but the retail of $199 is absolutely worth it...and I'd probably pay 2-3x that to get a bottle for special occasions.

It's hands down the most delicious, complex, smooth, and flavorful bourbon I've ever had. I would jump at the chance to buy a bottle as long as they're not asking much more than about 500 for a bottle.

But yeah I'm an idiot so I'd probably drop half a grand on a bottle. And then hide it from myself so I forget I have it.
    https://www.professorhorseyhead.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nice to see an informed bourbon post. Most these days are poorly researched and full of head shaker picks. Raised an eyebrow at the RC 6, as it's so new and benefiting from some FOMO hype. Would have leaned toward ECBP, Booker's, 4R Select or maybe even OWA if it had to be a wheater.

For the affordable pours, wouldn't argue with most. Early Times BiB also deserves a spot on every shelf these days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Don't forget Old Grandad! Bonded, so it's not aged very long, but surprisingly mellow with a kick of flavor. And $20 a bottle! And James bond drank it whenever he was in the US. What more could you ask for?

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    40 Post(s)
    If we're following the post's guidelines of just talking about our favorite everyday bourbon... mine has been and still continues to be Eagle Rare.

It's a solid 10 year bourbon that is reasonably priced, and although they can't claim that it's "single barrel" anymore due to switching to an automated bottling line it's still basically single barrel.

Hard to do better for $30-35.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    I support the inclusion of Wild Turkey products in the article. I am a huge fan of a lot of the Buffalo Trace products (ER, anything EHT, OWA, W12, Stagg Jr, Hancock's, BTAC, etc), but the hype, gouging, and unavailability is just insane. Wild Turkey has several excellent offerings that are available just about anywhere, anytime. For my tastes, Rare Breed is one of the most underrated bourbons around.

BTW, am I the only one that is over drinking out of a dainty glencairn glass or a spittoon i.e. neat glass? Just pour me two fingers in a rocks glass, please.
    Last edited by ScottD; February 13th, 2020 at 12:10 PM.

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Quoted
    139 Post(s)
    I liked the main site post. I had a couple builds, but no major issues with the recos:

- Maker's Cask Strength over RC6 if you insist on staying away from OWA due to Buffalo Trace allocation issues
    - EHT is so tough to find that it wouldn't be my BIB recognition, even though it's really good. I'd go for something that can always be found on shelf.

Bourbon is an incredibly frustrating hobby in my area (Cincinnati), but I really enjoy it when I can find the good stuff. Currently on the hunt for a Stagg Jr. I really want GTS, but didn't win a bottle in this year's lottery and can't rationally spend $400 secondary market on a bottle to drink... hah

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewrg View Post
    Don't forget Old Grandad! Bonded, so it's not aged very long, but surprisingly mellow with a kick of flavor. And $20 a bottle! And James bond drank it whenever he was in the US. What more could you ask for?
    OGD is available in a few different proofs, but the OGD 100 and 114 are the best IMO. Age is supposedly 4-6 years, but I wouldn't be surprised if some older stuff filters down.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottD View Post
    I support the inclusion of Wild Turkey products in the article. I am a huge fan of lot the Buffalo Trace products (ER, anything EHT, OWA, W12, Stagg Jr, Hancock's, BTAC, etc), but the hype, gouging, and unavailability is just insane. Wild Turkey has several excellent offerings that are available just about anywhere, anytime. For my tastes, Rare Breed is one the most underrated bourbons around.

BTW, am I the only one that is over drinking out of a dainty glencairn glass or a spittoon i.e. neat glass? Just pour me two fingers in a rocks glass, please.
    I still prefer the Glencairn. I usually grab one or two at each distillery I visit. A rocks glass doesn't capture or funnel the nose/scent for me, and a lot of what you taste is tied to what you smell.

Quote Originally Posted by wsupjs View Post
    I liked the main site post. I had a couple builds, but no major issues with the recos:

- Maker's Cask Strength over RC6 if you insist on staying away from OWA due to Buffalo Trace allocation issues
    - EHT is so tough to find that it wouldn't be my BIB recognition, even though it's really good. I'd go for something that can always be found on shelf.

Bourbon is an incredibly frustrating hobby in my area (Cincinnati), but I really enjoy it when I can find the good stuff. Currently on the hunt for a Stagg Jr. I really want GTS, but didn't win a bottle in this year's lottery and can't rationally spend $400 secondary market on a bottle to drink... hah
    Yeah, EHT is rarely seen on shelves here in Nashville these days. If you're in the market for a similar value, New Riff is where it's at. Also, they're just across the river from you in Cincinnati!

If you like Stagg Jr. and GTS, try a bottle of Jack Daniels Barrel Proof. It's nothing like its black label brother - the gold label single barrel barrel proof option brings the heat and flavor to rival GTS (and has won a few blind taste tests).

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    144 Post(s)
    Also, don't poo-poo on sourced bourbons just because they're sourced. Back in the day, everyone sourced bourbons from a small handful of distilleries, including the infamous Van Winkles. That's like saying your Brooks Brothers suit sucks because it uses Loro Piana wool!

Some of the subjectively best and most talked about bourbons available are currently sourced, including: Angel's Envy, Blaum Brothers, Belle Meade, Backbone/Bone Snapper (some barrels), Barrell (some barrels), Bulleit, High West, Joseph Magnus, Pinhook, Rebel Yell, Smooth Ambler, Whistle Pig, and Willett!