Page 42 of 43 FirstFirst ... 3240414243 LastLast

Thread: Dappered Weight Loss Club Anyone?

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    87 Post(s)
    I'm down to 232 from 245 on 7/18/19 (last time I weighed at this Dr appt). Face looks leaner which is definitely a plus.
    We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.” ― Charles Bukowski

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    22 Post(s)
    Up to 207 lbs from 203. My lifts are getting stronger but I will probably have to do a couple of days of a stricter/more controlled diet to see if i deflate a bit.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    I'm up at 175.6 lbs this morning. I am going in the wrong direction!

Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Quoted
    416 Post(s)
    I dipped into the 160's. Shift work is a jerk.

Although on a happy note, i think i finally saw an ab poking through the blubber. I may be on the road to "raving weight" sooner than expected.

(next year's photo threads are going to be epic, but not because i'm gonna look good....we've just got ridiculous stuff on the agenda and i CAN'T FRAKKIN WAIT!!!)

Varsity Member
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    111 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Deke View Post
    I heard something the other day that resonated with me, and I thought I'd share in case it did for anyone else. Just for some context it was on a comedy podcast about reviewing chain restaurant (The Dough Boys), so it's not usually a great source of healthy eating tips. But they were talking with the guest about how they handle the craft service table and, more generally, food in the workplace. And the guest (who's name escapes me) apparently struggles some with weight, and she said something to the effect of "for people that over-eat, everything is an occasion." The idea being that indulgent/unhealthy foods are something that shouldn't be eaten regularly. I think this is something that most everyone who wants to lose weight is aware of, but it's easy for those same people to slip into bad eating habits by thinking that anytime someone brings food into work (for instance), that in and of itself is a special occasion that should be celebrated by eating some of said food.

I know this isn't some revolutionary concept, as it essentially just boils down to the basic premise of "quit eating so much unhealthy food", but just the way it was framed up sort of clicked with me. I work in a big office and it's kind of helped me resist the free indulgent food that often finds its way into our break areas. Just figured I'd share in case it helps anyone else.
    Your post reminded me of when I used to do stricter paleo and did the Whole 30 a couple of times after football (watching) season ended. The article linked here was a good reminder not only for Halloween candy (which I rarely eat), but for fast food and things like holiday parties.

https://whole30.com/halloween-candy-special/

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    Jumped back into the low 180s. This is likely hydration related vs. any real weight loss. Just finished a 60 mile running week for my upcoming race and my body feels great. This whole making sure I sleep enough thing is likely the reason. No more alarms set to get a morning run in.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    I'm starting to chunk up again. With summer on the downswing, my level of activity is decreasing too. No more 140k bike rides to burn those calories. Last time on the scale I was 175lbs. Need to watch the caloric intake. No more mid-week sugars and definitely cut back on the booze - again!

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Quoted
    114 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocDave View Post
    No more mid-week sugars and definitely cut back on the booze - again!
    The two great six pack killers. You know I'm off the alcohol wagon (basically sugar) but the sweets are tough to resist come winter. My progress has come from simply cutting out whole areas of my diet. It's hard to make multiple decisions a day regarding what you will and won't eat or drink. If you just have a policy "I don't eat cookies anymore unless I"m on vacation" for example, it seems to be easier to keep the calories in check. YMMV

Cutting out alcohol, and increasing my veggies/fruits, while maintaining 160-200g of protein per day has dropped me from 190 last winter to 172 now. It was hard (but getting sober wasn't the easiest thing either) but maintaining it now has been thus far relatively straightforward if not out and out easy.

Edited to add: You can also try intermittent fasting. Very helpful, but probably wise to check with a healthcare professional before you start.
    Last edited by Alex.C; September 10th, 2019 at 01:46 PM.

Super Moderator
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1035 Post(s)
    I've tried a 24 hour fast once a week for the past couple of months. Man, Day 1 is tough. You can usually get by breakfast without a problem but the middle of the day is a bear until you are over the hill then dinner is just around the corner. I feel this has been helpful at times but other times it has caused me to binge which has the opposite effect.

Also, I break the fast depending on the day and stress. For instance, last Friday was a fasting day but the emails came early along with the calls so I stopped at 10a. Today is a fasting day and shouldn't be too much of a problem unless a lot of problems spring up out of nowhere.

Mentioned
    210 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1380 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex.C View Post
    The two great six pack killers. You know I'm off the alcohol wagon (basically sugar) but the sweets are tough to resist come winter.
    Oh man. In my line of work, we get vendors dropping off TONS of sweets come Christmas time. Then the outlaws start coming by with sweets, Christmas baking...The sweets never end!

I took the summer off from any serious weight loss. I was exercising like crazy and I could pretty much eat what I wanted. Now that winter is on the way (damn you old man winter) my level of activity will drop a bit. So my need to get rid of the sugars and the booze. Both are pretty bad health wise. And once January hits, I'll be dry for January. Heck, I may even leg it out until April like I did this year!